Chapter 33

Alexander stood with his luggage piled at his feet, awaiting the Hogwarts Express.

A small part of him would be excited to see his family upon arriving home, but the sickening rock that took its place at the bottom of his stomach told him that he would miss the castle he had been calling home for six years, even more.

His mother's parents would be visiting from Sweden, as usual, and his father's side of the family would show up shortly after them from Canada, creating a mess of blonde migraines for him to deal with until he escaped to the Harthwood residences on Christmas Day, as was their tradition.

Della would, of course, join everyone later that same day once she untangled herself from the Marcello Christmas madness.

Viomet and Fletcher Harthwood had long ago adopted them both as honorary members of the family and came to expect their arrivals as enthusiastically as that of their children.

A sudden thought struck Alexander and left him grinning broadly.

Remus. He would have to ask the Harthwoods for permission to invite his favorite Werewolf over for Christmas dinner.

Della would no doubt be doing the same with Peter, which left Potter and Black.

"Hmm. That's a fire hazard." He mused, watching as the red train came into view.

Throwing a few curious glances over his shoulders, Alexander huffed rolled his eyes. "Where in Merlin's name are they?"

As if reading his mind, two figures appeared running through the crowded station with their luggage levitating behind them, knocking into the backsides of oblivious youths and leaving shouts of annoyance in their wake.

The blonde boy let out a bark of laughter at the sight before him.

"Oh, shut your mouth, Lark," Della growled, venom laced her voice, as she and Adelaide slowed to a stop next to him.

"Fashionably late, again?" Alexander teased, crossing his arms and arching a brow in amusement.

"Fashionably late is the new early. I thought you knew that dearest, it's all the rave!" Adelaide said in a mock posh accent, very different from her thick Carnach brogue.

"Of course, how doaty of me! Forgive me, darling!" Alexander moaned, dramatically putting the back of his hand to his forehead.

Adelaide giggled, thus causing him to crack a smirk before chuckling with her.

Della rolled her eyes at them.

*********

James shoved his way through the train's packed corridors; in search of his friends in the compartment, they usually occupied on the trips to and from Hogwarts.

He swore under his breath when a group of snickering fourth-year Slytherins rudely pushed past him.

Out of the corner of his hazel eye, James caught sight of Lily and Severus sitting close to each other and sharing a laugh.

He could feel a grin draw its way onto his face.

For the first time, he let the fact that Lily Evans would never be his envelope his mind, let it seep into every pore and wash over him.

A gasp made its way from James's mouth as a wall crumbled somewhere deep inside of him, opening up for rays of light to shine through and free his heart.

He had done it; he had let her go absolutely, and now, he was left with enough space in for Adelaide to fill completely.

As if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, James let out a breathy laugh and turned to leave, only to see that both Lily and Severus were now watching him.