Charlie just grumbles and waves him off as they walk separate directions. But Charlie stops in his tracks when he catches sight of Marlene. Arms wrapped around herself, the saddest smile that begs for forgiveness, and puffy eyes from fallen tears.
Charlie's shirt is kind of dirty, not as clean as it was when he arrived. He hasn't been crying or anything, but he looks pissed.

"Whatever you're gonna say, I don't wanna hear it," Charlie says, shaking his head slowly and pushing past Marlene. There's a twinge in Marlene's chest that she has no choice but to ignore.

Marlene stands on the pavement, watching him walk away. She then inhales, her shoulders raising up to her ears, and she jogs slightly to keep up with him.

"Charlie, please."

"Marlene, I mean it." His voice is sharp. Marlene has heard it before, but not towards her. Usually towards some dumb referee or a stupid opposing team member.

She chews on the inside of her cheek, then she starts again. Start, then stop, twice now. It bothers Charlie. He thinks she's going to listen to him, but then she just keeps talking. He has that boiling irritation building up, but deep down the feeling burns. He loves Marlene so much, and being this harsh hurts him, but he can't get past his anger.

"No, I'm—"

"Marlene! Please, just go away!" It pains Charlie to yell at Marlene in such a way, but he has the right to be angry.

"Charlie Conway, will you just listen! I know we haven't spoken but I just fucked something up and I need your help!"

"Yeah, well. Shoulda thought about that before leaving us to pay for an eight-hundred dollar meal." The venom in his voice shocks Marlene. He said it so easily. She stops again, and Charlie's irritation bubbles.

"I didn't know, okay? I tried to get them to stop but—"

"Jesus, Marlene, go talk to Adam."

"I can't! That's what I fucked up!" Charlie stops again.

His angry glare has glazed over into a mellow worry. The only thing that made Coach Orion's order to ignore the Varsity okay was the knowing that Marlene had Adam. So hearing this, and remembering the second that he and Marlene held eye contact - her entire demeanor so devastated - he feels like a total shithead.

Charlie slowly turns his body towards Marlene. His head, then his shoulders, his torso, then his entire front. Like dominoes, one after the other.

"What?" His voice is minuscule, Marlene almost thinks she's imagining it. A car passes by, startling Marlene. Her head tracks the car until it's unable to be seen. When she turns back to Charlie, he's stepped closer to her, his neck tilted down to look at her.

He considers something. Marlene can't figure out what to say. Charlie grabs Marlene's shoulders, staring at her. It reminds Marlene of how they used to rid each other's nerves, except usually the air isn't so thick. "You what?" he asks again, his voice more relaxed but just as worried. Marlene sighs, resting her head on Charlie's chest.

"I was at that diner with Adam and stuff happened, and he stormed off because- because- I don't know - because I messed it all up!" Charlie is taken aback, he shakes his head vigorously.

"Shush, shh. Just—" He pauses, pushing Marlene away from him. "How bad? One out of ten, and be honest." He stares directly into her eyes, a serious look on his face. Marlene sees just how tired he really is.

"He told me he loved me and I said: 'This isn't about us, it's about Charlie and the Ducks.'"

"Oh, jeez." The color drains from Charlie's face as be shakes his head in utter disbelief. He doesn't know whether to feel bad for Marlene or to be angry at her for being so idiotic.