[p4] the polar express but make it camren

it's done!! shorter than the other parts but altogether it's 12000 words 🥲 merry not yet christmas y'all! i will be posting a full length of this by the way, so if you want to read it in one go with no ad interruptions or anything, keep on the lookout. ily and thank you

They're all walking back to the train and Lauren's nothing if not a bit overwhelmed.

Camila and Dinah are talking amongst themselves and Normani and Ally are in their own little world and Lauren's just kind of lost. How did any of that just happen?

Camila pulls her out of her thoughts by wrapping an arm around her waist, laughing along with Dinah about something Lauren's oblivious to.

She absentmindedly plays with a loose thread on the sleeve of her jacket as Dinah includes her on the conversation now, "Lauser, you gotta show us that bell when we get back on the train."

"I will," Lauren affirms, stopping in front of the conductor.

"Tickets?" He asks knowingly, sticking his hand out.

Lauren hands over the ticket, the B and E still showing proudly.

He takes it behind his back and Lauren can hear him holepunching it quickly. He stops after a minute, looks at it and smiles to himself, and then hands it back to her.

She reads it, "It says..."

"I know what it says," he winks at her, "No need for you to say it out loud."

She nods, and he pats her shoulder, "Get on."

She gets up on the train, eyes all on her as she enters the train car. It's nervewracking, to say the least.

"I wanna see the bell," Dinah says first, coaxing her into the seat next to Camila, "it better be coated in diamonds, by the way, because why do you need a bell?"

"It's pretty?" Lauren responds, rolling her eyes.

"Whatever. Lemme see," Dinah leans over the seat in front of them, trying to get closer as Lauren reaches into her pocket.

It's ripped. Oh god, it's ripped. She checks the other one to no avail and feels her heart sink to her feet.

"It's gone," Lauren mutters, "I lost it. I lost it."

Dinah jumps up, "C'mon. Let's go see if we can find it before the train leaves without us."

(Lauren nearly misses how Dinah glances at Normani, who's sat next to her.)

"Yeah, let's go," Camila stands up beside her, but is immediately set back in her seat by the train jolting forwards.

It's quiet, and Lauren swallows, "It's fine. It's just a bell."

It's not just a bell, and everyone knows that, and the sorrys get old quicker than she thought they would.

Camila's quiet beside her, and it's not long before she wraps an arm around Lauren and pulls her close, kissing her temple and just holding her. Lauren's grateful for Camila more and more, it feels like.

Dinah's quiet in front of them - if Lauren weren't so devastated she'd find it comical how quiet she is now - and Normani and Ally have moved to their own seat and are having their own quiet conversation that no one but them can hear.

Some time passes and they're at Normani's stop, the conductor offering a solemn glance at the girls as he says her stop's name.

They all get up and give her hugs, Camila pushing her way through so she can be before Lauren and laughing at Lauren's flabbergasted expression.