"You brought the mutt you've been trying to butter up for the human." The sparkly blonde female corpse from the hospital scoffed. I decided to make her look like an idiot and sat proudly. Edward let go of my head; I stayed by their sides when he and the pup started walking again.

   "Charlie made us bring her," the pup said, sounding disappointed, which made me falter for a second. Ouch, that hurt... My ears droop slightly, but I stay in pace with them.

   The family noticed the subtle differences after Bella said that. Esme told her she could umpire while the rest tried to lighten up the mood. Nothing seemed to distract the poor pooch; Rosalie felt bad for her comment earlier. Seeing how well-behaved she was and how badly Isabella treated her, she went up to the sitting dog and held out her hand, to which Shadow hesitantly sniffed. Recognizing her scent from the jeep, she instantly relaxed and put her paw on the hand to shake, which was something Edward was teaching her. The blonde vampire silently chuckled, catching the attention of the ones who could hear her. Kneeling to Shadow's height, she gave the adorable dog affectionate scratches and love. Shadow panted happily her tail going crazy as she yips and whines happily, the family smiled at the sight. Seeing how relaxed and human Rosalie felt, how happy she was to be 'normal' with the dog.

   As Rosalie went up to bat, Shadow sat to her left. When the ball flew into the forest, Edward did as well, which, in turn, caused Shadow to chase after him. She now viewed this as another game, 'chase the corpse.' By the time Edward threw the ball back, he let out a yelp, being tackled to the ground by a very happy dog who playfully growled at him. Noticing the difference in her small actions, he smiled while chuckling and pretended to be dead for a second. Shadow sniffed him before laying down on his stomach and chest, similar to her training for buried dead bodies, and cried.

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

   As the game went on, Shadow had loads of fun, yipping happily, somehow bonding with the living dead family. At some point, she jumped and caught the ball in her mouth, causing them to chase her while she zoomed around the field playfully. Soon, both she and Alice stop and Shadow becomes on edge. Alice told everyone to stop after getting flashes of the 'visiting' vampires, soon telling them what was going on. She herded the family close to each other and the pup in the middle of them. Even though Bella said some crude things, Shadow knew how much she meant to everyone, including her. Standing in front of them, protecting the family from what she's declared as danger. They all noticed her fur standing on her back and how aggressive she'd become as the other vampires approached.

   After their conversations and the dog's snarls, Carlisle decided to grab hold of her lead. Bella and Edward were about to leave when the wind got the attention of the ponytailed one. Shadow smelled their scents before when looking for the one who killed the people in town and the missing people. If it weren't for Carlisle holding her back, she'd be tearing them apart. Jasper finally used his powers and sent calm and sleepiness toward her. 

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

When I woke up, I was lying in the back of the car, in front of the home. Jumping through the window, my paws skidded into the living room on high alert. Pup and my human were fighting, instantly I go between his legs barking at the pup to protect him. The door slammed, and I felt Charlie's pain, nuzzling his hand to comfort him. He looked down at me disapprovingly, and I shrank back when he went to his room. I went outside and guarded the house not sleeping, those hippy dead ones won't touch my family. Not while I'm alive.

   Charlie has been worried these past few days; he seems to miss his pup. He's been more distant from me, and he's even talked to the others at work about looking after me. I think he wants to get rid of me, barking when I hear tires I never leave the porch. Charlie gets a call and leaves, I guess he forgot about me, everything was locked. It felt like forever, and he still hadn't come back. I cried and howled heartbrokenly, hearing the echoes of wolves howling back at me. I never left the porch other than doing my business and the normal perimeter checks.

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

Finally, Charlie came home with Bella. I can see my rib cage more now, but neither of them noticed. I went inside, scarf down my food, and lap up some water before going back outside and guarding the house. Charlie came out and apologized to me; he's only doing that cause HIS pup is back. He put my water and food bowl out here. I turned away from him and curled up more to help with the cold air. Edward came back as I was doing my perimeter check. He watched me lay back on the porch without even looking his way. I guess he felt bad for me cause he petted me and looked me over worriedly. Which quickly ended when I gave him a warning growl. I don't know why, but I have a feeling he's part of the reason my human was hurting.

   Getting into Bella's room, Edward asks what's wrong with the dog he's grown fond of. "After our fight, Charlie must've gotten upset at Shadow; she did bark and growl at me." Bella feels bad; she not only hurt her father but also put a rift in the bond with his only companion.

   That weekend, everyone got ready for prom, and everyone was worried about their canine companion. When the two leave for the dance, Charlie approaches Shadow and pets her while looking her over. Hoping she was okay, he kept whispering about how worried he was for her. She licks his face to help him, forgiving him. After all, he could do no wrong in her eyes.