Accidents Happen

We were on our perimeter check when Charlie's phone rang; the scent of worry and panic filled my nostrils. Suddenly, he put on his sirens, and we were off; he told dispatch an update on our report and told her we had a family emergency. Charlie rolled down my window as we came to a stop, "Shadow! Out! Follow!" He commanded and didn't even turn back to ensure I was there. Soon I was right beside him sniffing the air and ground as we walked, on high alert from how tense Charlie was. All of the drugs around us, and then I smelt a corpse with a sickly sweet scent attached to it, which unnerved me.

   Catching a whiff of Bella's scent, she immediately went to find her, not leaving Charlie's side because she knew she'd get in trouble if she did. They didn't have to stop at the front desk as Shadow guided her human straight to their pup. "Bella! You okay?" Shadow went up and smelled her, just to be sure. She is fine... Noticing how relaxed Shadow was now, her human calmed down a bit. Turning towards the human in the bed next to the pup, Charlie pointed his finger at him. "YOU and I are going to have a talk," his voice was stern, but when he turned back to the pup, he softened a bit. "You all right, Bells?" He glances at me and signals for me to heel, which I do immediately.

   The smell of sickly, sweet death came closer as I saw a blonde corpse walking toward us. Knowing I'm on duty, I can't leave Charlie's side after his command, so my eyes never leave the white coat. Charlie kept subtly glancing at me, knowing I was on edge. After he left, Charlie told me to stay with the pup Bella. Obeying with no questions asked, even if I was worried about my human being without me by his side. When the pup got up and started walking, I stayed right by her heel. With my lead attached to my harness, I hear it drag behind me.

   As we started walking, I spotted Charlie, so my focus went right to him. A very strong gust of that awful smell hit me. That wasn't the only thing; Bella ever so kindly... yanked me back. Causing me to gag and yelp alil as it hurt. The corpses stopped talking after hearing that and looked right at us. They smelled on edge as they glanced at me, noticing I wasn't by Charlie. Ha! I'm a good girl. I would never... Plus... I'm on the clock; I can't. Even though they all smelt like death, their scents were slightly off. They smelled different yet at the same time. Interesting... Wait a minute; the pup didn't apologize to me! How rude!

   Edward approached the two, keeping a slight distance due to the dutch shepherd. Although he knew she couldn't do too much damage to him, even if she wanted to kill him, she couldn't. He could still hear her thoughts, though; this dog is very smart for her own good... After their very rude and aggravating conversation, He was pleased with how well-behaved Shadow was. He could tell how much she loved Charlie and how hard it was to earn her trust, which Bella was still doing after she tried to get rid of her.

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

The next night, when they were all lying in bed, Shadow was on the floor. Shadow heard a window open; now on high alert, she stood up. Looking around the room, smelling the air, that awful stench again filled her nose. Glancing at Charlie one last time before walking out of the flap in his bedroom door and towards the smell, finding it right in the pup's room. She gives a low warning growl before sneaking into that flap as quietly as possible. Stalking and cornering the intruder. Now face to snout with Edward Cullen, who stiffened at the sight. The fur on her back bristled as if she knew he was dangerous. The boy knew if he made one wrong move, not only would everyone be awake and aware he was here, but he wouldn't leave unscathed.

   Shadow slowly moved between Bella's bed and Edward's unmoving body. Now baring her teeth, arched and ready to protect at any cost. Edward took this chance to slowly inch towards the window again, but that didn't last long as he almost tripped over one of Shadow's boxes of treats. This set off a chain reaction; Shadow lunges and her sharp teeth break through the hard porcelain skin of his arm. He hissed slightly as he felt every muscle in his body tense, which caused Bella to wake up slightly. Frozen for a second, he manages to quickly unlock Shadow's jaw, to which she recovers quickly and lunges at the walking dead again before he can get through the window. The thing is, he now had a nasty bite that was cracking around the marks and only one shoe on.

   Looking up, he sees the police dog looking out the window as if she's glaring at him, with his shoe in her mouth. He had no idea how he was going to get that back. Alice was sure as hell not going to be happy with him, and his brothers were going to laugh their asses off. Eventually, Shadow lay on Bella's bump-out window seat. To take a short nap before work, it was Friday after all. As silently as he could, Edward got on the tree branch leading to Bell's room and snagged his torn-up shoe. Sighing before leaving to feed and get ready for the day, staring at his wound. Hmmm... is this going to leave a scar? Yes, that dog is too smart for her own good. Fast too, it seems there was more to this dog, Edward definitely won't underestimate her again. At least she'll be protected if I'm ever not around.

 ☽🕯️ ͟͟͞͞➳🕷🕯️

The next day, we were swamped with missing cases. Finally, we take a break from the find game and drive around the perimeter. That's how I know it's nearing the end of our shift. As it gets darker, I smell the air the closer we get to the docks. That dead body smell fills my nostrils only this time I also smell iron, old books, old music paper and multiple of the alive corpse. Growling, I start barking as we pull up to the docks. That Edward better not be here or I'll rip him to shreds. Alerting Charlie, he connected my lead and signaled me to get out and find.

   Pulling him slightly, I bark loudly and viciously in order to scare them away, hopefully. I don't want these death bringers near my human, reaching the body. I whimper knowing this scent, it's one of Charlie's playmates. He pulls me back and radios in for backup and forensics. Sighing sadly as he finally sees his dead playmate sitting next to him, I send out a mournful howl. The wolves near howl back.