Chapter 5

It's about 11:00 p.m. and I am up texting with Ty. I get tired and fall asleep soon. I have the same nightmare that I had the night before, this time more vivid. I wake up at 1:00 a.m. I cannot sleep at all anymore. I decide to go for a trail ride on Kathy. She is so sweet and is such a good girl.

I decide to go bareback, because I trust her enough. I put the bridle on and go out. I don't go to the beach... I go to a place much more special. Behind all of the trees in the back of my house is a jumping arena, with a big field. The moonlight makes it the scenery even more beautiful.

 I walk Kathy into the jumping arena and do the course. The jumps are about 1 meter (3 feet high.) I love my little pony. She is fearless and so smart. I want to gallop her. I've only done it once on her, and that was with a saddle.

But I still trust her. I canter then ease her into a controlled gallop. She is so fast and smooth. When I see the barn she stops immediately. I nearly fall off, but don't. I regain my balance and put Kathy back into her stall. I'm about to leave, but I realize that Kathy is really hot and sweaty.

I lead her to the wash rack and rinse her off with the hose. I get an old sweat scraper and scrape all of the excess water off of her. It is 4:00 a.m. now. I get the hay and feed all of the horses. I suddenly realize my first lesson is today. I should probably get some more sleep.

-------------A few hours later--------------

   I load Rhydian in the trailer and hop in the truck. Before you know it, we are at the barn. There are pastures every which way. The barns are painted white with forest green trim. I gasp at the sight. I get out and go to find Lizzie. I walk into the barn to see a lady rummaging through her tack trunk.   

"Excuse me." I say, "I'm looking for Lizzie."

"That's me." the woman says, "You must be Charlotte."

I'm shocked. She's very nice looking. Her red, curly hair makes her green eyes stand out. He face is covered in freckles that she tried, but failed, to cover with makeup. What surprised me most was her swollen belly.

"Well, if you like your lesson, you're welcome to come back anytime. However, I won't be here all of next month, as that is my due date." Lizzie says. I nod and go to get Rhydian. After tacking up, Lizzie leads me to the jumping arena.

I warm up and go over some trot poles before Lizzie sets a jump. She commands me to go over it. I happily do so. Rhydian is amazing, but I look terrible.

"That was good, but try to keep your heels down while going over the jump, so your leg won't slide back as much."

I follow her directions before going over the jump again. This time is much better, but my equitation still needs work. We finish up, and I go back home. I will definitely be going back to that barn.

As we pull in, I get a text from Ty. He asks if I would like to come over to his house. I say yes, of course. We've become really good friends! I put Rhydian away and walk over to Ty's house. He greets me at the front gate.

"So are you going to introduce me to all of the horses?" I ask.

"Well, you know Jack. The black mare over there is my dads horse, named Molly and the palomino gelding is my moms horse named, Honey." Ty says to me.

"Who's that pony in the barn?" I ask pointing to the little white pony.

"That's my sisters horse, Angel. We can't let her out with the other horses, because she fights a lot. She isn't much of an angel, but my sister loves her."

I see a little girl come out of the house. She has to only be five or six years old.

"Ty!" She shouts holding her arms out to hug him. He picks her up and swings her around.

"Hey there, Emily." he says to the little girl. I stand there awkwardly. 

"Oh. Charlotte, this is Emily. She's my sister."

"Nice to meet you, Emily." I say in a sweet voice.

"Come on. lets go inside and I will make some tea." Ty suggests. We all agree on that. We walk in and I see Ty's mother: A woman with auburn hair and dark, almost black eyes. We get acquainted and Emily decides to show me her horse toys. 

"I'm home." A booming voice calls from the other room. I go out and see Emily and Ty hugging who I assume is there dad. If he wasn't, that would be weird.

"Hi, honey." the mom says. They kiss each other. He glances at me.

"Hi. I'm Charlotte."

"I'm Peter. Ty has told me a lot about you." Ty blushes.

"Well, lets have some dinner."