Chapter 19

I hit the lunge whip against the ground. Lady speeds up. I've been doing some work with her.

To be honest, I think Isabella ever lunged her at all. I never knew Ldy would go to such a bad owner.

I put her away for today, then I tack up Echo. I walk her to the beach and we gallop along the shore.

Emily is here. She's riding Angel. We both wave at each other then ride next to each others horse.

"Hi, Charolette." she chimes, "Can we do a race?"

"Of course. Let's have the start there," I say pointing to one direction, "and the finish there." pointing to another.

We line our horses at the start, then we gallop off. t feel as if we're just blurs in the wind.

Emily wins, but I'm only a few inches away from her. I ride back to my house, then I go to the jumping arena.

I notice something that I've never noticed before. It's a name plate. I dismount Echo and read it.

Jackson

He was my moms old horse. In fact, he was the horse she was riding when the accident happened.

———————-5 years ago——————-

My dad and I are watching my mom compete in show jumping. She goes over the first five perfectly.

Jackson suddenly stops. Mom urges him to go forward, but he doesn't budge. Then, it happens.

He flips over on top of her. His wither bone lads on her head, and drives it into the ground.

An ambulance drives her to the hospital. We follow. At 6:44 p.m. my mom died.

——————End of flashback————-

I don't even realize tears are streaming down my face. Echo nudges me. I mount her, then do the jumping course.

Why my mom? Why us? Why did this ever happen?