4. Secrets of the Veil

Start from the beginning

She could breathe properly again, so she threw herself in his arms. "Oh, thank the gods." 

He hugged her back, running his hands up and down her back, obviously aware of the unease inside her. "You have to admit it's a good disguise."

"Yes, yes it is." She pulled back, finally at ease enough to focus on the other part of this discovery. "How do you do it?"

"With this." He held up something that looked like a glittering silver scarf. The texture of the material looked like storm clouds, the shades of shining grey on it shifting and changing. "I have one for you, too." He threw the veil-like thing over his shoulder and took out a smaller one.

Despite her rational side which recognized the usefulness and ingenuity of the disguise, she stepped back. "Where exactly did you get these?"

Cage hesitated for the fraction of a second, but then his easy smile returned. "We do have help."

"Cecile?"

He actually flinched. "Yeah." His tone indicated he really didn't want to get into it.

A flare of jealousy overtook her, and she instantly wanted to throw the veils into the fireplace and watch them burn.

Burn down the world.

The voices came so unexpectedly, she almost screamed.

"Are you okay?" Cage took a step towards her. "I know it's not ideal, but she does want something from me."

"What exactly?" Her voice still held a tremor, but she was so on edge, she couldn't control it.

"She wouldn't say for now."

"That's preposterous! She's just using it as an excuse to see you!"

"Kat..."

"I don't want you to be around her anymore. She's dangerous!"

"I know she's dangerous." His tone caught the commanding edge and silenced her immediately. "That's why it's in our best interest not to piss her off."

"Not to... what?"

"Upset her." Cage groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Not to upset her. Don't be jealous, Kat. It's not like I'm going anywhere. I would literally die."

"That's the thing! I don't want you to be with me because you would die if you're not." The conversation only fueled her insecurities as she watched him, the focus on his face, the straightness and certainty in his posture.

He was a true prince, a king. And who was she? Just a peasant girl who had stumbled into his castle. She wasn't an Annorian princess. She was no body.

"Kat." His tone was strained for some reason and it just escalated the unease already inside her. "You know it's not like that. I was in love with you before Cecile's newest curse."

His words eased her mind a little, but she still felt tense and nauseous. At least they'd be leaving and then Cecile would be a non-issue. She couldn't wait to be away from everyone and everything. Just her and Cage. And strangers, since they still needed a ship and crew.

"Will you be wearing that veil thing all the time?" The thought was very unpleasant.

He didn't seem to like it either as the corners of his mouth turned down. "Unfortunately, I'll have to. As will you."

"Why? No one knows who I am!" 

"That may be, but I'm not going to risk your safety in any way, so I'd much rather people continue not to know who you are."