CHAPTER TEN - Hades

Hecate really wanted to talk to Bianca. 

It was all she chattered about for the rest of her visit. Bianca this, Bianca that. Bianca should do this, do that. Hades was trying to be nice, but he didn't want any more parenting tips, thank you.

People prayed to the gods when they needed help, but who did the gods pray to? Each other?

He just wanted to talk to Bianca. She needed to understand a few things about herself, and Hecate wasn't good at sugarcoating. Her conversation with his daughter would end up with her shell shocked and Hecate throwing magic stuff at her. Literally.

"Bianca would also need to practice with the Mist, since its the most important magic source in the world, and-" Hecate's monologue was interrupted by an insistent beeping from Hades's tablet.

"Apologies," he said, before grabbing the device. It was a call from Beauty from Beauty and the Beast. Hades answered it to see Persephone snapping at her handmaidens.

"You were supposed to watch her. What do you mean, she-" She looked back at the screen, frustration written all over her face. "Hades, what did I tell you about answering calls on your tablet? All I can see is your nose."

Hecate smirked from next to him, and he moved the tablet back, holding it up with his magic. "Better, dear wife?" He asked, and she scoffed.

"You lost the phone, didn't you?"

"Maybe."

"Never mind," she sighed. "Just get to Bianca's chambers. Now." Persephone ended the call, leaving Hades both dumbfounded and worried.

"I need to-" He began.

"I'm coming too." Hecate got up and smoothed her dress. He just sighed, not wanting to argue. Instead, he took her arm and shadow travelled before she could complain.

They emerged right in front of Bianca's door. "You're just doing that on purpose now, aren't you?" Hecate winced, shaking her head. Hades didn't answer, bursting through the door. His eyes instantly flickered around, searching for his daughter. She wasn't there.

Persephone was still talking to her servants, standing near the bed. 

"Persephone," he snapped. "Where is she?" 

She turned around, a defensive expression already on her face. "If I knew, I wouldn't call you here."

"You don't know where she is?"

"It's not like I guard her twenty-four hours a day! Besides, I ordered my servants to watch over her. She must have managed to sneak through their line of sight, the little-" Persephone stopped herself, and right on time. "This girl needs a tracker," she muttered. 

She lost Hades at the second line. None of the servants saw her leave, and... He whipped around. Where was Bob? 

"That piece of- Persephone, this is your fault," he snapped. 

"My fault? How is any of this my fault? She isn't my daughter, and you should have been watching over her!" Her hair began turning a fiery red, like it often did when she was angry. 

Hades let his own hair start burning, flaming the type of blue that appeared at the bottom of a fire. The mix of red and blue glinted off the glittering ceiling, making shapes circle around the room and floor. 

One of the servants sighed, like "Here we go again."

"I was speaking with Hecate, you know, actually being productive!"

"Well I would have been productive if I wasn't stuck in the Underworld for half the year!"

"Stuck in the- Why do you always bring that up?" As they continued to yell at each other, Hecate watched, amusement visible on her face. 

"Alright, alright," she interrupted. Both gods death-stared her, and she shrugged, spreading her arms. "If you continue arguing, you'll never find her." To add to the dramatic effect, she made mist coil around her like a pit of pythons. Persephone calmed down first, huffing at the other goddess's shenanigans.

"Good to see you, Hecate," she said cooly, elbowing Hades. The blue fire disappeared, much to his discontent, and he grumbled under his breath.

"You too, Perse."

"This reunion is mind-blowing, but my daughter is missing," Hades put in, shifting in his uncomfortable sandals. Greeks used to wear these every day.

"My social life is missing," Persephone retorted, earning a laugh from her friend. How they became friends? It was a mistery worthy of the gods.

"Then invite people over, Persephone, I really don't mind," he sighed. Okay, he did mind, but only if they disturbed his sleep, stole his stuff, or bothered people when they were trying to fulfill their punishements. It was even worse when they tried to help. It's just rude.

"How many people do you know that are willing to spend the night in the Underworld?"

"Well..." He stopped. "You know what, never mind. Hecate, let's go." Hades would be willing to continue the ongoing argument if Bianca wasn't missing. He had to focus on her, not on squabbling with his wife.

"Hecate and Persephone, you mean," Hecate smiled at her friend. Hades looked at them both, wearing fancy dresses and fancy hairstyles. They understood the message, and did nothing about it. 

With a final, "I can fight in a dress," Hades rolled his eyes and shadow travelled them all to the front of the palace. There, after a quick discussion with the guards and soldiers, they marched off in different directions to scout. He still wasn't satisfied. 

"Hecate, could you do a tracking spell or something?" He asked her, desperate for results, even though he already knew the answer.

"That's not my type of magic, Hades." He looked up at the sky, which was always either dark blue or black. The only sources of light were the lava and the shining jewels. Would he be able to make an image of stars? Bianca would like that, since she's a Huntress of Artemis. And it could make her feel more at home.

"Can't you see everything in the Underworld?" Persephone asked, putting an arm on his shoulder. "You should be able to find her."

"In theory, yes. But I already tried. I can't see her anywhere, but I can still feel her." Hades clenched his jaw. At least he knew she hadn't left.

"She must be shielded by powerful magic, then," Hecate answered, stroking her chin thoughtfully. 

"Magic?" Hades turned to her.

"Well, yes. It's the only thing that makes sense." Persephone nodded in agreement. 

"And there's only two people that are strong and capable enough to shield a live soul in the Underworld," she added. 

Thanatos and Hypnos.

They could definitely cross out Thanatos, since Hades knew him very well, but Hypnos on the other hand... Hypnos was siding against the gods in the war, as they all knew. Especially Hecate. Irrelevant. Bianca was a priority at the moment, not politics.

"I suppose we have to pay our dear Hypnos a visit, then," Persephone stated, looking to the far left, where his mansion stood. 

"What are we waiting for?" Hecate took Persephone's hand, and together, they headed towards the palace like the Sisters of Damnation.

This chapter is more dialogue than action, I know, I know. It's kind of just here to show relationships between characters and such. Personally, I love the Hades-Hecate and Hecate-Persephone relationships, since there's so much history behind them. But yeah.

Anyways.