CHAPTER TWO - Bianca

You know, when you think like that, the Universe takes it as its responsibility to prove you wrong. So, obviously, when Bianca reached the end of the tunnel and stepped out, she was instantly arrested by dead WWII soldiers and tossed through a wall, into a dungeon. They didn't seem to understand what she was saying, and since she had no weapons, she couldn't do anything about it.

Muttering some unflattering comments in Italian, she looked around the tiny room. There weren't any doors or windows, so no source of oxygen. In frustration, Bianca kicked the wall she had been thrown through.

This was ridiculous. She slumped against the second wall that day. At this rate, she wasn't going to make it to dinner before next Thursday. It was eerily quiet, but the darkness seemed to be calling for her, urging her to step into it.

I am a daughter of Hades, She thought. I will not fall prisoner of the shadows.

She took a few steps and felt the world shift. Wind blew on her face, as if she was on a roller coaster. She remembered going on one with her mother... The instant it stopped, she quickly opened her eyes to find herself on top of a table in the middle of two very surprised gods. Her vision tunneled, and she stumbled sideways.

"Oh, no. You are not puking on this carpet," Hades said, flicking his wrist. Bianca's sight went back to normal, and she got her bearings.

"Couldn't you have done that sooner?" She muttered.

He looked her up and down. "You're getting dust all over my table." He responded instead of answering.

"Sorry," Bianca sat down, slid off, and finally got to look around. The dining room seemed more like a hall. The long dark wooden table was in the middle of two rows of richly decorated columns. A giant chandelier hung right at the center. Behind the columns were tea tables made entirely of gold, along with vases and flowers made from other... rich things. She couldn't help but stare with her mouth open. Bianca had never seen such wealth.

"You can sit down," Hades said. Her eyes flickered from him to Persephone, who was smiling thinly. Bianca glanced down at the table. There was a meal in front of the chair closest to Hades, so that's where she sat down. Fries and a burger were placed on a silver plate, along with a brownish drink in a crystal cup. "So. You must have a lot of questions."

Actually, Bianca just wanted to eat, but she nodded politely anyway.

Hades spread his arms. "Ask away." He sipped on his drink.

"Am I dead?" Her father almost choked, then cleared his throat.

"Not exactly. I collected your soul before your body died." That explained everything.

"Um... Where is my body now exactly?" He frowned.

"Here?"

"Here, as in, here in this room, or here as in the Underworld?"

"Here as in-" Hades circled his finger around her face. "Here."

"So, I'm not just a ghost?"

"Well, can you walk through walls?"

"I'm not entirely sure."

"You're not entirely sure?"

"Well, when I got thrown into a cell, I went through a wall, but-"

"When you were what?" Hades's knuckles whitened around his cup, and Bianca shifted in her chair.

"Arrested. I don't think the skeleton guys knew who I was, so it's fine-"

"What did they look like?" He asked, voice ice cold. His black irises had covered the entire surface of his eye. Bianca's voice shook when she answered.

"Well, they were wearing uniforms..."

"Husband," Persephone's voice said firmly. "You're scaring her." Bianca glanced at her from the corner of her eye. She looked like a photo copied too many times, her skin pale and papery, and eyes greyish as if losing their color. Hades's eyes went back to normal, and his grip loosened.

"Fine. Eat, Bianca. You need it." And she did.

Hades explained many other things to her. He said she couldn't leave the Underworld because her spirit was already collected, but that he had a plan to bring her back. And that it might even make her immortal. When he did, Persephone looked extremely unhappy, but Bianca couldn't guess why.

"And, if the plan doesn't work, you'll either have to stay here in the palace, or we'll try another way..." His face darkened. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Any questions?"

"Yeah." Bianca swallowed another french fry. "What is this? It's delicious."

Hades raised an eyebrow. "Mortals call it a happy meal. There was a toy as well, but I gave that to Cerberus." Bianca frowned. "The three-headed dog that guards the entrance to the Underworld."

"No, not that. Doesn't 'Cerberus' mean 'spotted?' So you basically named him Spot?"

"I- No!" Hades snapped. "Cerberus means 'flesh-devouring!' He is a fearsome beast-"

"And his name is Spot."

Hades rubbed his forehead. "You know what, never mind. Just... Would you agree to follow my plan?"