CHAPTER NINE - Bianca

"This isn't what I thought you meant," Bianca whispered. Leila shushed her, just as she had been doing for the past half an hour. Bianca wanted to point out the "SHH!" was louder than what she said, but it was a waste of time.

For some reason, the girl decided that going to Hypnos's home was a good idea. Yeah, the same guy that's siding with Kronos in the war. She should have stayed in the palace. But she couldn't leave the six-year-old at the mercy of an evil... Was Hypnos a god or a Titan? Didn't really matter.

Gods, this was going to be awful.

Leila turned to her, doing weird things with her fingers. First a... flag? A flower? Bianca just stared at her. The kid rolled her eyes.

"You go that way, I go this way," she whispered, leaning in close. Bianca looked down the corridor she was supposed to be venturing in. Dark, gloomy, and foggy. Not ideal.

"We shouldn't be separated-" she stopped. Leila was already gone, tiptoeing through another hallway. "You've got to be kidding me," Bianca muttered, turning away.

A weird clicking came from before her. It sounded like someone was scurrying around in the fog. Didn't sound too good.

Wish I had a bow. And arrows. A sword would be nice too.

But since she didn't... Bianca started walking, cursing the squeaky sandals for the millionth time. She didn't make it far.

"You're the girl," a quiet male voice stated. She stopped, keeping a defensive position.

"Who are you?" An unseen wind scrambled about, nestling in her hair. 

"The more important question is why are you here... Bianca Di Angelo." He said it mockingly, as if he knew something she didn't. She couldn't help the shiver that went down her spine. How did he even know her name?

"I got lost," she lied. The male voice chuckled lowly. It echoed all around the dark, musty corridor, and her eyes flickered about, less certain about the source of the voice.

"We both know that's a lie," he answered. Bianca swallowed. Okay, so he knew some things, but that didn't mean he knew everything. Hades wouldn't just walk around bragging about her, now would he?

... Would he?

"I came here alone. I was bored in the palace, so I went out to explore. I got a little lost, though..." She spoke vaguely, keeping the little girl out of it. 

"Mhm," came his uninterested response. "Then little Leila just happened to drag you here? Lady Angelo, this is not a game, and as much as I'd like to warn you, this wouldn't be fun if I did." All the fog in the room circled around her, then abrubtly came to a stop. 

Bianca didn't breathe, standing as still as a cat waiting to pounce.

She shifted her weight to her right fot, and the milky whiteness moved acordingly. A confused frown painted itself on her face. What in the name of...?

"Magic, Lady Angelo. Magic." The male continued from behind her, the voice clearer this time. She spun around to find herself face-to-face with a bare torso. Bianca stumbled backwards, staring at the person in front of her. He was much younger than she expected. In his twenties, maybe?

His skin was paler than Hades's, which was saying something. Startling golden eyes roamed over her face, peeking from behind fluffy white hair. His clothes were simple, consisting of a red button-up shirt and black jeans. Were they supposed to have holes in them?

His shirt was only buttoned about half-way, making his muscles very much visible. Very much.

Bianca realized she was gaping and quickly looked away, focusing back on the fog. "Magic?" She finally managed an answer.

"That's... Right," his reply was interrupted by a jaw-breaking yawn. He sighed, rubbing his eye before continuing. "You have some very strong magic, Lady Angelo. And I don't mean your demigod powers, however cool those are."

Hmm. Does that mean...?

Bianca raised her right hand, and the fog followed. A grin threatened to burst out onto her face, but she kept it in check. The man watched in amusement as her lips twitched and her eyes lit up. 

"Is fog magic?" She asked, raising her other hand. She played with the fog as the man watched.

"Not exactly. The fog is simply a representation of the magic inside you, not magic itself. It wouldn't exist to anyone with no magical abilities, such as mortals. But you on the other hand..." He chuckled. "You are a different story."

Bianca's hands dropped to her sides. "Really?"

"Considering your parentage, it isn't surprising." He probably ment Hades. He probably had some sort of magic. And, you know, power over the dead. "Come, now. You need a bath," he fussed, before striding away into the fog. 

"Wait!" She called after him, struggling to keep up. Déjà vu, much? There was no answer, and after waddling mindlessly for a few minutes, she stopped. Definitely lost. Bianca huffed, annoyment coursing through her veins quicker than blood.

This was the Underworld, a place she should, in theory, know better than her own pocket. And here she was, getting lost in her second palace this week.

Gods help me. 

Then, she had a stroke of genius.

Or don't.

The fog was the problem, was it not? And the man said it represented her magic. The magic inside of her. So if this, technically speaking, belonged to her, she should be able to, like, move it. Right? 

Bianca closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The fog was just like the darkness, hers to control. She inhaled, bringing her arms to her chest. She felt the brume wash over her, a feeling colder than the Snow Queen's kiss. With her exhale, she spread her arms. 

Slow clapping made her eyes fly open. The man from earlier stood in front of her, leaning on a wall. His clapping sounded rudely sarcastic, but the genuine expression on his face told her otherwise.

"Congratulations. That was quite a pretty show." The annoyed feeling in her torso didn't leave, making her snap back.

"Great. Does that merit me a name?" His gleaming eyes observed her, the wind only moving his cloudy hair. Then, a small smile fell onto his thin lips.

"Hypnos. God of dreams."