CHAPTER FOUR - Bianca

Bianca's heart beat wildly as she clutched her arms close to her chest. What had she just witnessed? The soldiers who had put her in prison were no more than ash. She dimly wondered if that was how Hades got the skull decorations on the walls.

It sounded just like him to decorate his palace with the bones of his enemies.

The bones of his enemies.

They weren't even his enemies! They were his own servants for crying out loud! She swallowed and closed her eyes, trying to steady her breathing. What if he heard her?

Don't see me, don't see me, don't see me.

She repeated the mantra over and over in her head, and risked a look. It seemed to work, since Hades's attention was on a black... piece of metal? on his lap. Maybe it was magic or something, because he kept pressing it.

Whatever. Bianca needed to get out of here. She stood, stiff as a plank, behind one of the columns, trying not to look up at the skulls decorating it. This was the first time she realized they were real, actual skulls that belonged to real, actual people. She had ended up behind here because Persephone had convinced her to ask Hades about her friends.

I can only tell you that they're not dead.

A relief, sure, but Bianca still wanted to know more. Did they already finish the quest? Was it successful? Annabeth wasn't dead (she made sure to ask), so perhaps they had.

It didn't matter now. Not after that. She didn't want to talk to Hades, didn't want to follow his stupid plan. She just wanted to see Nico. He was only ten, all alone in Camp Half-blood.

The thought squeezed her heart like a lemon. She had left him to become a Hunter of Artemis. She left him. Bianca was selfish; she wanted to be free of parent responsibilities for a while... Now she might be free of them forever.

No. There was still Hades's plan...

She really didn't want to, but it wasn't like she had much of a choice. Either that or stay here forever.

Definitely that.

Bianca sneaked another look behind the column. Hades wasn't there anymore. Her eyes widened. She hadn't heard him leave. Maybe he did the shadow thing again. She hoped so. There was also the possibility he was watching her, waiting to see what she would do.

Yeah. How about no?

Bianca tiptoed to the back entrance, making sure to look around at least a dozen times. She doubted she'd get arrested after that spettacolo, but better to be safe than sorry. The stupid sandals squeaked at every step, and she froze every time, sure someone had heard.

She made it safely to the door and slid through, closing it behind her softly. Bianca leaned against it, puffing out the air left in her lungs, and gave her companion a small smile.

Bob was fidgeting and spinning his broom. He had changed out of his janitor outfit (so that's what the weird suit was), and into extra large black pants and white shirt. The shirt contrasted deeply with the black and red aesthetic of the palace, making him look like he was glowing in the dark.

"How was it?" He asked, looking at her curiously.

"Fantastic." Bianca answered. She couldn't keep the shivers out of her voice, and Bob frowned, looking her up and down.

"You have no wounds, but you look very bad." Bob tilted his head. A sarcastic thanks almost burst out of her lips, but she stopped right on time. Bianca knew it wouldn't be fair to take it out on Bob.