I put on my dress, and help Emil with hers.
"Are you nervous?" I ask as I help her with the waist of the dress.
"Yes.. only the slightest bit" she answers quietly.
"You are a splendid lady, and anyone would want your hand in marriage, do not doubt yourself, Lady Brooker".
"Dont say that!" She tries not to laugh, and covers her face to hide her blush.
She has been interested in a boy, Isaac Brooker, for quite some time, and hopes to one day have his hand in marriage.
"Covering your face is very unladylike, madam" I grin as I tie up her hair.
"No it isn't" she pouts adorably.
"Well dont do it tonight, now go, swoon all the gentlemen" I smile as I place her hair and pick her up off the pedestal.

Emil is a magnificent dancer, and the chances of her and Isaac marrying are very high.

The families of which think their children will marry into converse, discussing the future of their children, but I am of no importance to Emil's married future, so I take a stroll around the dimly lit village.

I am about to walk back to the festivities when I hear something, two boys talking.
I follow the sound and find I am right, Aldred, and the younger brother of Isaac Brooker, Osric, sit outside the baker's, and look to be having quite a lot of fun.

I can tell there's something more there, and am about to walk away, to give them privacy, when Osric notices me, he whispers to Aldred and both the boys freeze in terror, staring right at me.

I smile at them, trying to tell them that I won't tell anyone, that it's ok. Aldred seems to relax a bit, but I have my doubts on Osric trusting me.

I nod calmly and walk away, leaving them to talk to each-other once more.

The house is buzzing with discussion the next morning, Emil is engaged to Isaac, and my parents are thrilled.
I congratulate and reassure my beloved sister, before taking our laundry down to the river, where I find Aldred, seemingly waiting for me.

"Miss Ashdwon I-" he says in a quick and nervous manner.
"I know how it feels, little boy" I say calmly, walking over to the river and dropping the two, notably heavy, baskets down next to the river.
"H- how.. what Feels?" He asks.

And so I tell him...

My father was shocked to find I had not found a man during the festival a few days before, and was set on finding me a husband. I was not his favourite daughter, he loved me, but wanted me out of the house.
We travelled to our neighbouring village, where the their festival would be that night.
But that night I did not expect to find love.
The boys were intrigued that I had come here to find a suitor, my father keeping it a secret that we came here because I had failed in my home village.
There I had met Sybilla.
She was beautiful, and nice, and smart, and not in any way interested in finding a husband, just as I was.
By the end of the night I was in love, I wanted to live with Sybilla, I wanted to marry her, but I had never heard of two women marrying, and found out later it was a sin that cost Sybilla's life.
An old woman from Sybilla's village, named Linota, had found us talking, and called for the elders, stopping the festivities in their tracks.
My father protected me, truly believing that I was merely querying Sybilla about the men of her village, but Sybilla's mother, Grecia, and her father, Maynard, set her up for slaughter.
Her parents were already convinced that Sybilla was a sinner, and deserved punishment.

As I tell Aldred this, I tear up.
"They burnt Sybilla, they killed her. My father and I have not spoken of her or that village since". I whisper as I pull the last of the clothes from the river.
"Does that mean I'm going to get killed-" Aldred asks, his whole body shaking in fear.
I shake my head, "if you do not see Osric again, you will both be safe". At this I burst into tears and crumble to a heap at the riverside.
"It's not your fault miss" Aldred says, "it's my fault for not finding a wife".
"It isn't anyone's but those who believe us sinners" I cry, "for all of our knowledge, we are the worst sinners.
It's gives mer insurmountable pain to say this, but do not speak to Osric in a way anyone who was more than friends would".