forty one: the Subject

Start from the beginning

“But right now, I’ll just have to be content with being friends with you.” He smiles meekly. He lifts her hand, lightly kissing her knuckles. “In my home, the men show their devotion by kissing the women’s hand, to honor promises. My uncle always does this to his wife.”

She snorted. “I’m not exactly wife material. I’m flattered but tone it down, will you?”

He nodded.

“Sorry,” he scratches the back of his head. “I’m surprised you haven’t punched the living daylight out of me.”

She was surprised too. She had to admit that maybe it was because she could trust him, even for just the tiniest bit.

Her reply was a simple shrug.

Lively’s voice boomed all from the tables. She turns to Lively, waving her hand to them.

“I think they’re waving us back.” She said.

“Yeah. I guess we’ve been here longer than needed to be.” Dorran stood, patting the sand off his bum. He gave her his hand and pulled her up. “Thank you, my Luna. Your kindness, it’s warming my heart.”

Selena’s cheek turned pink. She averted her gaze and turned his back on him.

“You deserve every bit of kindness, Dorran. I’m happy to be your friend.”

~•°•~

All the hurt and betrayal had finally come to this. His hand was forced and it took him losing and getting screwed over. Francis was a good driver, an amazing one. Though Nathaniel’s fear for moving vehicles wasn’t cured, he was thoroughly impressed that Francis was able to drive a hundred and forty miles per hour and maintain it for eighty miles.

“There. Pull over.” He commands.

Francis pulled over on the side of the road. He looks out the window, analyzing the woods and trees carpeting the whole area. Threading lightly, he arms himself with his axes not ready to see the state Winston and his family were in. He brings his nose in the air, finding no trace of blood. Instead, Nathaniel was faced with a wonderfully alluring smell. His knees shivered and his grip on his axes loosened. Of course, she would be here.

“I smell my cousin. Why is she here?” Francis looked at him.

In response, Nathaniel vehemently sighs. Now, Selena was in danger too. The stakes had jumped a bar higher.

“My sister-in-law, she brought her here.” He grimaced. “Ready your weapon and remember the plan. Don’t die and hold on as long as possible. Lilian and the rest of my wolves will be here shortly.”

“My silver is sharpened and my gun’s been locked and loaded.”

The wolf nodded dutifully.

He was cautious. It would not be wise to trek recklessly if Harrick’s wolves were near the vicinity stalking their movements. He neared the house, spotting Winston on the porch. Their eyes connect and his brother’s frightened expression hits him. Nathaniel hadn’t cleaned himself before he left. And the blood and grime on his boots were still present. Its stench causes Winston to gag. He placed his finger on his mouth and neared him.

“Nathaniel…” Winston whispered. “Wha- why are you with that wolf? What’s happening? You’re bloody and injured.”

The barrage of questions did not shake Nathaniel. He gestured for Francis to watch their backs as he pushed Winston into the house. Nathaniel shielded Winston from any crosshairs, making sure that the pup in his brother’s arms was out of sight.