Questions: Chapter 19 (Final Chapter)

Chapter 19

Gally was let out of the slammer at dawn. He apologized, under Alby's orders, to Minho and Alec. Alec's apology went a little rougher... Alec was mourning your supposed death as well, and both were furious at the other for being rivals for your love. Minho was silent through Gally's speech, only nodding here and there to show he heard. At the end, all he said was, "I'm going to wait by the doors."

As the hours before the door's opening counted down, more and more boys sat on your old spot, watching the doors. Newt's arm was over Chuck's shoulders, and his hand was close to Gally's in the grass, showing his support by just being nearby.

The doors creaked loudly. All the boys stood, hurrying over to them. Minho was already there, anxiously waiting.

They opened painfully slowly, inching apart bit by bit until they were fully open.

The boys stared into the darkness.

That's when the sun rose just a tiny bit more, illuminating your form, running toward the doors.

"Y/n?" Everyone heard Gally's voice break into a thousand pieces as you sprinted the final few steps into his arms.

"Y/n, holy shuck, I was so shucking worried about you, I never got to apologize or tell you how I felt about you!"

"Gally!" You gasped; your newfound voice muffled by his immense bear hugs.

"I love you, y/n, I don't care who knows I do, I'll never hurt you again or let you be hurt, I'll protect you I promise just never do anything like that ever again-"

"Gally! For shucks sake, would you shut up for two seconds and listen to me?"

"What?" He asked, stepping back to look at you.

"I got my voice back." You said, eyes shining.

"You... you got..."

"I got my voice back!" You yelled in his face, leaping into his arms. He twirled you around in pure bliss, while the other Gladers cheered.

"I love you too, by the way." You said, laughing. Gally blushed red and tightened his grip on you.

"Y/n!"

"Uh oh." Gally put you down and stood a little in front of you, glaring at Alby, with his unbroken hand locked tightly on your good hand.

"Y/n what on earth were you thinking, running out in the maze at night?" Alby asked hostilely, arms crossed.

"I had to, otherwise I wouldn't be speaking now. WCKD controlled my voice."

"So, you couldn't talk? At all?" Chuck asked, pushing past the crowd.

"Not a word. WCKD wanted to see how you would react to someone who knew everything but couldn't tell you anything. You passed; you didn't hurt me. I was able to complete my mission. Now, I can answer your questions."

The boys shouted questions in one deafening roar, and you pulled your good arm from Gally's grip to cover your ears.

"SLIM IT!" Gally hollered, and the Gladers followed the command.

"They're hurt, slintheads! Clint, Jeff, get your useless tails over here!"

"That's my Gally," You said proudly, and he blushed again, quickly covering it with a grumpy face and crossed arms.

"What did you do yourself, greenie, fall of another roof?" He asked, teasing you about your arm.

"Nope, killed a Griever."

This brought another round of exclamations and questions from the boys.

"SLIM IT!" Gally yelled again.

"This arm is broken. We'll have to set it." Clint declared.

"Before that... Alby," You stepped toward him, "I need to speak to you for a moment. Privately." He nodded, and you two took a few steps into the maze, leaving the curious glances of the other boys and the protective glares of Gally behind you.

"The reasons you are all here, the world outside," You whispered, "it's not pretty. It's dangerous. A lot of you don't have families to go back to, and if you leave, a lot of you will die. I can make something up for those guys... I don't have to tell them the truth. You could stay here, safe. It's up to you."

Alby paused for a long moment, staring into your eyes.

"You're letting me decide?" He asked.

You shrugged and smiled. "You are the leader here, yes? You're my leader. These are your boys. I trust you, more than WCKD trusted me."

Alby looked back at the boys, waiting patiently for information. Then he smiled.

"I'll call the meeting. We'll have the biggest bonfire in all of Glader existence while you get that arm set and rest up. Then... tell them everything."

You walked back into the Glader together, Alby to the boys he cared about so much, and you into the arms of Gally.

"I'm sorry about-" Gally started, glancing down at your broken arm.

"Shut up." You silenced him by pulling his head down with your good arm and meeting his lips with yours.

The boys hollered and hooted but you and Gally were deaf to them. It seemed as though you were the only two people left on the planet.

It was only when you pulled away that you heard them, and both burst into laughter.

"Y/n?" Alby offered you a knife. You took it questioningly.

"I think it's about time you carved your name on the wall. You are one of us now."

You approached the wall, Gally's arm wrapped around your shoulder.

You stared at the rows of names, some crossed out, some remaining. You could add your name to the wall. You could be one of them.

But then again, would you really be?

You'd never have your memories wiped. You'd never have to rely on the others as much as these boys did. And none of them would be the same after you... after tonight.

You took the knife.

And carved a question mark into the wall, then slashed a line through it.

After it was done you turned to the Gladers.

"To the end of questions!" You yelled, holding up the knife proudly, like a banner.

"The end of questions!" The Gladers took up the cry, running here and there to begin the celebrations.

You and Gally stood together, in front of the mark on the wall.

"I have one question for you... before any of the others." Gally mumbled.

"What's that?"

"Did you know me... did we know each other... did you love me before all this?"

You laughed. "That's more than one question. But lucky for you, it has one answer."

"What's that?"

You leaned in and kissed him again.

"Yes."

The End of Questions