Questions: Chapter 14

Chapter 14

You recognized the book. It was yours. It had your name in the front cover...

To Y/n y/l/n from Mom and Dad

How long ago it seemed... how far away they seemed.

And yet, here was the book. Half-forgotten, half released, the memories served as a reminder of your purpose in the Glade.

Your time was up.

"Greenie?"

You took a final look around you. All the boys had gathered near the Box, ignoring the other supplies, to see the centerpiece.

A 1984 hardback edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Its cover worn, its pages torn, the book had been much loved. You sat on the side of the Box, your feet dangling, as you fingered the writing in the cover.

"Y/n

"Y/n... is that your name? Do you remember?" Newt asked, trying to be gentle.

You nodded, causing an outcry that was only silenced when Gally shouted, "Enough already!"

"Everyone, go to dinner. We will give y/n a chance to think about this and have another meeting after dark, which should be in another hour or so. Y/n, I'm sorry but... at that point... we'll need some answers."

You nodded again. You understood. You had been foolish to expect them to wait...and for what? You would never be ready in time for Minho to escort you.

But oh, how much you hated the thought of going alone.

The boys drifted away from the Box slowly, one after another until just you and Gally, and Alec were left.

"Y/n... I think that's a beautiful name," Alec said.

"Slim it, Alec. Leave them alone."

Alec took a final glance at you, then left.

"Will you talk to them tonight?"

You brushed a tear out from the corner of your eyes. Putting the book on the grass beside you, you stood to face Gally.

"I don't know what they'll do to you if you won't. I don't know if I'll be enough to protect you. I-"

You silence him with a hug. He froze, stunned... then, cautiously, hesitantly, he wrapped his arms around you. You could hear his heart beating.

Pulling away, you motioned him to go to dinner. He nodded and walked away slowly, giving you second looks out of the corner of his eyes.

It was only when he disappeared behind the tree line that you took a deep breath. Ripping a page from the Alice in Wonderland book, a blank one from the back, you took a pen from the supplies in the Box and scribbled your first written message to the Gladers.

I do know everything. But to tell you, I must go into the Maze. If I survive, I'll explain everything.

I'm sorry I have to break your rules, Alby. I'm asking you to trust me if that is at all possible.

Please.

-y/n

You took what other supplies you needed from the Box, running to the doors. You pinned your note to the wall with a knife and, with a longing backward glance, you ran into the Maze.

And slowly, painfully, finally...

The doors shut behind you.