Questions: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

It was a minor bump, no signs of a concussion, but Jeff's examination took the rest of the day. The sun was going down as you walked out of the medjack hut. All the others were going to dinner, but you were distracted by the voices coming from the closing doors. You walked briskly for a moment, then broke into a run as the doors began to close. The unspoken shouts in your throat gathered together, then burst as the doors closed with a catastrophic SLAM.

You struck the walls, nearly in tears, your head pounding, thankful for the silence. You had known it would be painful, but you hadn't expected it so soon.

"Greenie!"

You turned quickly, startled.

"You weren't trying to leave, were you?"

You shook your head, pressing your back against the wall. For a moment you felt trapped, pinned against the ginormous walls with Gally looming in front of you.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

You looked up sharply. Gally's voice was soft, and his eyes sparkled in the fading light. He held out a hand for you to take, saying, "Are you feeling alright?"

You nodded but didn't take his hand. You started walking along the wall toward the kitchens.

"Why don't you shucking say anything?"

You stopped and turned, only to glare Gally straight in the eyes. He stopped too, holding up his hands.

"I won't hurt you! I just wanted to make sure you don't pass out or trip over your shoelaces or something."

You rolled your eyes and started walking again.

You aren't doing your job

Gasping, you froze. You'd never heard them with the doors closed before. You hadn't even known that was possible.

"What? What is it?" Gally asked, worry obvious in his voice.

You tried to shake your head, but you heard the voice again.

You need to come out here. To find us.

You gasped, putting one hand on the wall for support.

"That's it, I'm calling Jeff-"

You shook your head wildly, gesturing anxiously to prevent Gally from yelling. He stared for a moment, suspicious.

"Alright," he relented reluctantly, "But you have to let me carry you to dinner. I don't trust you to be walking, and I won't have a greenie collapsing twice on my watch in one day. I have a reputation to consider. Deal?"

You hesitated. Finally, you decided that a few minutes being carried would be better than a night of interrogation from Clint and Jeff.

You nodded once and found yourself scooped up in Gally's arms. He walked slowly toward the loud kitchens, his gentle pace calming you immediately. You stared awkwardly up at Gally for a minute, until he looked down and you made eye contact, and you looked away. The stars were just coming out above your head, and you closed your eyes, leaning your head on Gally's shoulder. You could hear his heartbeat, and you smiled as you realized it matched yours.

If you would have looked up, you would have seen Gally blushing as red as one of Newt's tomatoes, and a smirk plastered on his face. But you didn't look up. Instead, you fell asleep in Gally's arms. And instead of taking you to dinner, he put you gently in your hammock. He looked at your peaceful sleeping form for just a moment, wondering if he could kiss you on the forehead... then memories of your fight in the Ring came back. He flushed with anger, and strutted off for his dinner, leaving you blissfully asleep.