sixty: the surrounding danger

Start from the beginning

Fry stayed in the driver's seat and Newt made sure I rolled up all windows before we entered.

"You lot ready?" Fry asked, checking all the windows and doors. I cocked my gun and nodded.

The boy looked hesitant, but after shaking it off, slowly began to move the truck forward.

The tunnel was dark, even just at the entrance, as large objects such as cars and lorries filled the edges. Many seemed to have capsized and smashed – lots of which still had deceased people in. Their brains had been splattered over the floor, as the rest of their bodies carried fatal injuries or loss of limbs.

There were children, couples, best friends, babies, all laying on the floor. No longer breathing.

It did not smell good down here.

"Take it steady, Fry." Tom would say, trying to calm his friend.

Newt kept his hand clasped in mine, giving it a squeeze every so often to remind me he was still there. I appreciated the gesture.

Especially when we saw the first crank. "Just go around it, Fry. Don't worry, it's just one."

The boy nodded, clearly terrified but desperately trying to stay calm. Newt grasped at my hand tighter, telling me it was going to be okay.

I believed him – for a second.

I turned my head slightly to the right, and that's when I saw it.

A crank, right next to the window, getting her face as close to the glass as she possibly could, her nails scratching at the door to get in. "Help me. Please, help me."

I knew she was infected – you could always tell. Her eyes were sunken in, her skin was a ill shade of green, and her face was tattered with wounds no real human could endure and still survive.

"Please! Let me in." She screamed, and Newt pulled me hurriedly away from the window.

"Fry! Go!" He yelled, and that was when I noticed the others. They were everywhere, creeping around the corners and coming up from behind us.

We were absolutely surrounded.

A man, deteriorating rapidly, approached Newt's window. That was when I lost it. "Fry! Fucking floor it!"

On my command, he did. His foot collided with the accelerator, and we sped insanely fast through the tunnel. It was so dark, I couldn't even see the other end, and that seemed to be our downfall.

None of us saw the large ramp before us, not until it was too late, anyway. We shot over it, and, sadly,  the shock of the situation, didn't give Fry enough time to swerve the truck back onto the floor.

We landed back on the ground, but not on the wheels. The truck was on its side, with all four of us still stuck inside of it.

Dust spun through the air from the impact, making my vision blurry. So blurry in fact, I couldn't see Newt.

Thomas yelled out from his seat. "Everyone okay?"

Kicking in the window with my foot and shattering the glass allowed me to crawl painfully out of the vehicle as I ran over to help Newt.

"Are you okay?" I asked, grabbing his arm to pull him out of the truck. He hissed in pain, from what, I'm not sure, and gave me a faint smile.

"I'm fine. Are you alright?" He grabbed my hand again as I nodded.

"Hey, are you lovebirds going to come and help us or not? I mean, you can finish your moment if you really want to but it's a bit selfish-"

I rolled my eyes. "Fry, don't bloody push it. If I felt like it I could leave you here for the cranks."