Chapter 9: Coffee

"How are you doing Papa?" Sonakshi asked her father who was on the hospital bed

"I am a bit weak right now," Rajesh Saxena said, squinting at the limp in his daughter's gait.

"I see. Hope you get well soon. I will see you soon. I am joining my PG in surgery soon at AIIMS, Delhi," Sonakshi said. 

"Hoping to see you fit and fine soon, Mr Saxena," Dev greeted his father-in-law.

"Thank you, my boy. Nice to see you come down to visit me," Rajesh said.

"Yes. This is my wife's family. She wanted to come down to see the man who raised her. I just accompanied her," Dev said with his eyebrows raised, indirectly taunting him at the way he had ignored congratulating Sonakshi on securing a surgery seat in AIIMS Delhi.

Sonakshi cleared her throat looking at the thick tension in the hospital's VIP room that her father had been shifted into. The situation was feeling slightly awkward.

"What happened? Did I say something wrong?" Dev cocked his head sideways and asked his wife.

"This is not the time to reproach my father on his failed parenting," Sonakshi said.

"Alright, wife. Some other time," Dev said and walked over to her, holding her by the waist. He whispered in her ear, "Don't put too much weight on your injured foot. Sit down and speak."

"Why are you limping Sonakshi?" Rajesh asked his daughter.

"I got injured recently," Sonakshi asked curtly after getting seated on the nearby couch.

"Is the wound healing?" He quizzed.

"Physical wounds heal, but emotional wounds take some time to heal. I will take care of my wife really well, sir," Dev butted in.

Sonakshi was liking how Dev was standing up for her, but this was her fight to sort out. Not his. Her father needed rest right now.

"Dev. Let's go. I need to get some stuff for college. I will be starting college in a week," Sonakshi said standing up and stumbling suddenly. Before she could lose her balance, the firm hands of her husband gripped her safely.

"Careful. Get well soon, Mr Saxena," Dev said and walked out with his wife.

 Get well soon, Mr Saxena," Dev said and walked out with his wife