Chapter 7: The Aftermath

"For me?" Sonakshi asked

"Are you deaf? I already said something. I did it for you, Mrs. Dixit," Dev said, his eyes not moving away from her face. He could see the shock clearly in her eyes. He did not know why he felt her pain as his own.

"Thanks," Sonakshi said softly.

"What Vicky did was inexcusable. I know that we do not love each other. We do not even know each other well, but that does not mean that you can't reach out to me when you are in trouble. Let's start somewhere, shall we?" Dev proposed. 

"What do you mean somewhere?" Sonakshi asked.

"Let's be friends. I don't think living as strangers would be profitable for either of us," Dev said.

"Seriously? Profit? You are a true businessman. How am I sure friendship would be healthy with you?" Sonakshi countered.

"Healthy? No wonder you are a doctor. I know I don't have too many friends, but I think maybe you might make a good friend," Dev said.

"Fine. So, where do I start? Hey, I am Sonakshi. Want to be my friend?" Sonakshi asked.

Dev chuckled slightly. It was the first time that Sonakshi saw him smile slightly. She knew his smiles in public were fake smiles as she could see the amount of energy he used to use to smile. After all, here smiles were never genuine too.

"Sure, Mrs. Dixit," Dev said taking her hand.

"Stop calling me Mrs. Dixit," Sonakshi said, scrunching her face in annoyance.

"You are my wife," Dev reasoned.

"I do have quite a beautiful name given by my parents. It was my mother's choice. Sonakshi," Sonakshi stressed.

"OK. Only for you. Hi Sonakshi, I am Devrath," Dev said.

"Can I ask you what your name means?" Sonakshi asked. She had always wanted to know the meaning of his unique name.

"My name Devrath means Sacred or Holy," Dev answered.

"Wow! It is something really sweet," Sonakshi said.

"What does your name mean?" Dev asked.

"Sonakshi means golden-eyed. My mother named me Sonakshi as it is one of the names of Goddess Parvathi," Sonakshi explained.

"You loved your mom the most, didn't you?" Dev asked.

"Who doesn't?" Sonakshi replied grimly.

"Who is your most favorite member in your house?" Dev questioned.

"Are we playing 21 questions?" Sonakshi cut him off, not wanting to answer his question.

"We can get to know each other that way," Dev said.

"10 questions each," Sonakshi proposed.

"Consider deal sealed," Dev said, smiling slightly.

"What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?" Sonakshi asked him.