14

Caroline plastered on what she hoped was a believable smile and walked out of the kitchen, putting her trust in Preston to find Liam. There were very few people she trusted her son with. Her family, Myra, and Preston.

"What do you need, Valerie?" she asked, stepping up to her very first employee.

"Washer number two has an error message. I took the linens out and they were sopping wet. I don't think it is spinning properly," Valerie explained, leading the way to the laundry room. One of the first things Caroline did when updating the inn was to get a second pair of washers and dryers to help clean the bedroom linens and towels quicker.

"Let me see what I can do. This is the old one that I kept when taking over the inn," she explained as she grabbed a toolbox and walked over to the machine. "Go man the front desk. I'll handle this." Caroline put her head inside the washer and checked for any missing screws.

"Are you sure? I know Preston is here," Valerie began, before stopping when Caroline fixed her with a glare.

"Yes, Preston is very handy, but I've fixed this machine a few times on my own. I don't always need a man," she quipped, ducking back inside the machine, this time with a small flashlight.

"I didn't mean it like that," Valerie grumbled as she walked away. What was up with Caroline? She never snapped at her before. Maybe she just needs to be laid, Valerie thought, before shrugging. She would let her boss figure out what was eating at her. Everyone knew they were mates and felt bad for Preston having to wait for Caroline to figure it out. Valerie walked back to the desk and continued on with her day.

Caroline sighed when she knew Valerie was out of earshot. Fudge! She never snapped at an employee before. After fixing this hunk of junk, she would apologize. The frustration of being interrupted when she and Preston were together was irking her. All she wanted at this very moment was Preston. The need for him ate away at her now that she'd admitted her feelings for that sexy tiger shifter. Banging on the drum of the washer, she tried to balance it again. The next time she had the money, this hunk of junk was getting replaced. Each quarter, she checked her profits and decided on the next fix. The washer would have to be it. Caroline crawled out of the washer and turned it on. The unbalanced notification came back on. Darn it! Caroline knelt and felt around. Her fingers found a loose screw. She grabbed her screwdriver and fixed the screw. If this didn't fix it, then she'd have to call a repairman. To her delight, the unbalanced notification went away. Caroline fist-pumped the air in triumph and did a tiny victory dance.

"You look happy," Georgia's voice remarked from the doorway. Caroline looked up at her sister with a smile.

"What brings you by?" she asked, and Georgia rolled her eyes.

"Lunch with Myra," she answered, making Caroline smack her head. She'd forgotten with all the drama from the soldiers being around her inn.

"Give me five minutes to clean up and see if Preston is okay with watching Liam." Caroline put her tools away and went in search of Preston. She found him out back, teaching Liam how to use a hammer.

"Preston," she called, and his head popped up.

"What's up?"

"I forgot I have lunch with Georgia and Myra today. Can you keep Liam for an hour or two with you?" she asked, slightly worried he'd be upset with her for asking him to watch Liam so she could have fun.

"Of course. Liam is helping me with a project," Preston answered with a smile for her. He walked over and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close. Caroline closed the distance and kissed him. He made her feel free. Normally she'd feel self-conscious of public displays of affection, but not with Preston. She didn't care what people thought.