Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Bloodstream

The evening air was chilling, but Jennie's gaze was soft and warm. An entire week since Rosie and Jennie had gone shooting. An entire week of odd silence from Jisoo. An entire week of avoidance from Lisa. An entire week of Jungkook lost in his meetings.

A week since Doyeon fled at the news, from her mother, that Kai was in town.

Rosie had to wonder who the hell Kai Lee was, if Doyeon feared him.

But, at the very least, Jennie was now fully Rosie's to bother at work.

"Jennie, where are we going?" Rosie grumbled, rubbing her hands together furiously to create some sense of warmth and feeling. "It's freezing. We just got off work. I'm tired."

Jennie glanced at Rosie, and then took off her jacket, and Rosie wished that once, just once, she'd not be such a romantic.

It made it very hard to hate her. Which Rosie figured would be easier than any other alternative.

Jennie stopped, turning to Rosie to help drape the jacket over her shoulders. "Here." She murmured.

"Jennie, no..." Rosie sighed, catching her hand in midair. "I can't deprive you of things like this. That's not something you should have to for me." Rosie had trouble verbalizing much of anything around her after their intense bond, the shooting, and the lunch.

"You're right." Jennie spoke lowly, "I shouldn't have to do anything for you. But seeing you shiver," she left the jacket over Rosie's shoulders, returning to walk by her side. "Is the worst form of torture. Besides, I did this of my own volition. No one's forcing my hand."

Rosie nodded slowly, breathing steadily as they headed for Jennie's car. 

She decided that she'd never need her own car, the way everyone always seemed to come after her, anyway. 

"Jennie, where the hell are we going?" Rosie grumbled with a huff once more, sliding into the passenger seat.

"Rosie." Jennie sighed, putting a hand on top of hers.

Rosie froze, heart hammering. She hated how being with Jennie did this to her.

Okay, she might have loved it.

"Do you trust me?" Jennie asked, voice raw with emotion and a softness that Rosie had seen before.

"With my life." Rosie murmured, eyes glancing anywhere but into Jennie's gaze.

"Then just trust that we're going somewhere safe. And important." Jennie replied, removing her hand from Rosie's to turn the engine on.

"That's vague." Rosie replied numbly, turning on the sound system with an odd sort of anticipation.

Jennie's amused smile was not lost on Rosie.

"What?" Rosie asked defensively, trying to focus on the engine roaring to life, or the now blurred pavement moving under them.

"You like track thirteen." Jennie mused gently. "You always put that one on, perhaps subconsciously, even."

"Yeah," Rosie breathed, leaning back into the luxurious leather, taking in the faint scent of Jennie's perfume. "I guess I do. This one's famous though. It's from that movie about that French girl. What's it called again?"

"Comptine d'un autre été." Jennie's accent was effortless.

Rosie felt an inappropriate rush of heat at Jennie's words. "You speak French?" Rosie asked suddenly.

Jennie smirked. "I am a business woman. I learn the basics of many languages."

"So vague." Rosie rolled her eyes. "I took French in high school."