Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Austin's P.O.V:

"Alright everyone, dinner is ready! Follow me to the dining room!" Mrs. Dawson announced leading us all towards the large room; gesturing her slender arms to the stretched mahogany table. The table was set for 10; four seats on each side and one chair on either end. Grey place mats sat on the surface and the lights above the table reflected off the pallid plates. The aroma of hot food placed on the table whirled around the space; pleasing my nose with different scents of herbs and spices. As everyone started to take a seat at different spots, I noticed Ally already seated on the opposite side of the table and motioned for me to sit in the chair next to hers. I gave her a head nod for acknowledgement and moved to meet her. Unfortunately I didn't reach the other side fast enough; Amber unexpectedly dragged her chair out just before I could cross and Aaron wanted to know where I was sitting so he could follow. I looked back across the table expecting to see the chair empty, but instead Asher filled the space and watched me with a cruel glint to his eyes. Ally gave me an apologetic look and sympathetically shrugged her shoulders. I simply smiled back letting her know was okay and it wasn't her fault; it was Asher's... Amber patted the wooden seat next to her and pulled it out for me. I walked back around and took my seat next to her, muttering under my breath, "Thanks Amber," I narrowed at eyes directly across the table as I sank down into my chair; partly because Asher was whispering unknown words in Ally's ear causing her to lightly blush and laugh. He smirked satisfactorily at her reaction then his eyes flicked to me; hazel eyes converting dark before turning back to converse again. I felt Amber's eyes carefully search my face; seeming to sense my stiffness. She glanced over to Asher and Ally then knowingly returned to me. Eventually her stare weakened and returned back to eating and conversing with Anthony who sat on the end of the table next to her. What is he whispering? I tried to discreetly read his lips but he kept turning his head occasionally, sending the un-deciphered words in the other direction. After a while I got tired of trying and started talking to Aaron across the table. I sincerely tried to listen to Aaron talk about how he's trying to figure out how his skyrocket was supposed to work, but my mind subconsciously kept wandering back to Asher who purposefully was flirting with Ally. What is he trying to pull? She probably isn't interested in him anyway so why is he trying? I attempted to ignore Asher's obnoxiously loud remarks about his new guitars and how he plays a Warbler on the TV show Glee(1). I suppressed an eye roll when I heard him say he'll make a CD mix of some of the songs he's been working on; but when he proceeded to boast about how he might be able to get her on set to meet some of the cast, I scoffed in my fist and reached for my water mumbling, "Ehem bullshit" while I cleared my throat to be able to drink. Apparently Asher caught wind of my smart remark and I felt his intense eyes burn at my face and his jaw became rigid. I smirked to myself as I drank but a sharp and fast pain shot up my leg then spread around my muscle; throbbing and prickling like millions of tiny needles piercing my skin. I gagged and choked on my water; coughing as my eyes watered and my throat burned. I sadly got the whole table's attention; worry and confusion etched in their faces. Amber awkwardly laughed and started patting my back, "Slow down there Austin the waters not going anywhere, ha ha ha..." I breathed through my nose, clumsily smiling and nodding; giving them the indication I was okay and they all turned back to the conversations and food. Amber was still quietly laughing and smiling while leaning in to me as I grabbed a napkin and dabbed my jeans dry of spilt water; speaking through her teeth "Austin tone it down, you're making yourself look stupid," I kept up our fake friendly conversation and shook my head; "smiling" while tossing my napkin on the side of my plate and replying back with an overly chipper tone "Well you tell that to Asher Amber because I'm about to -" My sentence was interrupted by Mr. Moon addressing me with a cheery smile as he leaned with his arms resting on the edge of the table, "So Austin, your Dad tells me you're an singer! Tell me, what's it like recording for Jimmy Starr? Ally's been teaching his youngest son the violin at the store; he's a big-shot producer! You must be amazing," he nodded his head intently, encouraging me to address the matter. I looked around unprepared at his sudden inquiry; Amber nudged me reassuringly while Asher's face drained of color. I felt like politely shrugging off Mr. Dawson's comment, but it was Ally's face that caught me. Her face lite up at the remark and she sincerely seemed interested in what my reply would be. She gently smiled as I responded, "Yeah working with Starr is really cool, and he gets to know you personally so it's easier to understand each other," Mr. Dawson already looked engrossed in the conversion; he seemed like a really happy guy and I knew where Ally got her blissful personality. "But your Mother was telling me how you were in a band with your siblings? Did you want to become a solo artist?" Mrs. Dawson questioned. I felt my heart speed up a bit at her question. "Yeah Austin, why don't you tell Mrs. Dawson how you stabbed your family in the back?"