17

Past
Sofia POV

“You’re late”, he says after opening the door and moves back into his apartment , for me to enter.

Guess the fact that I had thought of so many topics for conversation so that we could chit chat at the threshold of his apartment vanish out when he entirely skips to the part of entering. The room reeks of smoke and I don’t even want to guess the other substances mixed in the stale air, the blinds are closed even the single lit bulb couldn’t do much in keeping the darkness out.

“Beer?”, he asks while standing in front of his freezer which I refuse with a single nod.

To seem busy I engross myself in the football match that was coming on TV but having never seen it before it loses my attention in mere seconds. He comes and sits near me on the couch even though there is a lot of space still left on his end of the couch.

In another five minutes his hand was now on my thigh which was giving soft caresses to that part of my body. While with his other hand he reaches for his beer bottle and gulps down at least half of it. While my hand dives into my shoulder bag and closes around a silver pocket knife. As his hand starts to travel further down I gather more resolve to take out my knife but the sound of the bell startles us both.

“Could you get that?”

I open the door and had already begin to mentally thank whoever was on the other side until I saw him. I was sure it was him. The car lift guy, and I knew then and there ,that all I was and all I had was his to begin with.

7 years later

“I’m pregnant”, no smile or hugs are exchanged between Andy and me.

This new information sits between us like a heavy bull dozer which cannot be moved so easily. Everyone talks about how life , people, places, feelings…change with time , but where are the people who talk about the sufferings caused by this change. Because the suffering is so deep and internal that even if I rip out my heart it won’t stop.

With the time being seven years the agony also maximises seven times fold. Who knew one day love would end ,not from my side though . It all started with minor arguments turning into fights, dissimilarities widening, separate bedrooms, zero communication. I could see why Andy changed because of these but these are just rivers, on top of which together we need to create a bridge and get over it but only if Andy was smart enough.

Lately I could see his mind churning not for the good so naturally I took some safety measures and one night a tipsy Andy made me really happy. It would take some time for him to come around but he will.

Somewhere we were finally falling into a new pattern of life , one in which we were both happy, he even said it to me when I joked

“You’re quite ready for this”

“I’m happy after a long time”.

Then Zoe came back into his life. I never thought of Andy cheating on me ,its not that he cannot but his moral compass won’t allow it. But that could easily bend for Zoe or maybe not. I have been paranoid when it came to Andy my entire life surely the time when I called at the pub and David picked up his phone because he was busy talking to a women did start the overthinking in my brain, and later that night he confirmed one of my fears saying he meet Zoe really put him in the light for me.

This statement stands completely true that a former flame can set fire to you’re present life. So I tried every trick in the book to keep Andy with me, beside me. With all the trips to baby stores, to setting up the new room, from ‘requiring his help’ , to fake pregnancies scare.
********

One day a police officer came to visit me while Andy was out for an interview. At first I had been sceptical at opening the door but then what harm can a police officer do. Opening the door only a fraction I stick out my face

“Hello, how may I help you?”

“Good-morning I’m officer Mark and I’m here with my team for an annual check in to ensure the safety of our citizens”.