|9|

It's dark behind the back of your eyelids, but you're slowly reawakening again. You feel unbelievably drowsy, but it's not unbearable. You don't want to wake up out of the comfort of your bed. You don't want to leave to have to go through another day of stress. It's hard enough as it is to juggle your work life and school life; you just want a break.

Just a little rest.

There's a clamor of voices in your room that prevent you from falling back into your slumber, however, and it mildly irritates you. You strain your eyes, trying to open them with difficulty. You can just about make out the dark, empowering figure standing by your side protectively.

"I think she's waking up again..." That gruff voice... that doesn't sound like Noodles, but it does sound familiar. For some reason, it gives you an uncomfortable feeling.

"Step aside you brutes... Y/n doesn't want to see your ugly faces."

Oh yeah, that one was definitely Noodles.

Blearily opening your eyes, you're face to face with Noodles. He looks pissed, but you know it's just his face; maybe he actually is pissed, but you don't blame him. A yawn escapes you, and you rub your eyes tiredly.

"Morning Noodles," you call out sluggishly. Looking around, you realize that you're back on your bed, the soft blanket draped over your and not suffocating you like a burrito, but still gently tucked underneath you to preserve your warmth.

You blink. Wait a moment, what do you mean 'back on your bed'...?

Quickly looking up, you notice a large towering figure at the foot of your bed, with shaggy black hair and tired black eyes. You suddenly feel the urge to facepalm. It would be a nice time to die right about now. Maverick gives you a toothy grin, all too clearly amused.

"Looks like she's up," Maverick says with a small laugh. "How was your nap?"

"I had the worst dream ever," you grumble.

He gives you a tilt of his head, clearly wanting you to elaborate.

"Just something stupid like how you were trying to recruit us into your department or something..." Maverick's smile seems to widen. You trail off, the words dying in your throat along with your soul.

Grimacing, you throw the blanket over your head and curling into a ball. "Shit, it wasn't a dream. Fuck. I refuse to be apart of the police and have this turn into some murder mystery like Lucifer. I don't wanna be Chloe Decker and have to fight crazy psychos who are going to try to kill me in the most slowest and painful way imaginable... I'd rather have a quick and easy death."

"Well you don't exactly have a choice," Maverick breaks it to you. "And if you were Chloe Decker, then this guy-" He jabs his thumb in Noodle's direction, "Would be Lucifer. You know I don't think it'd be that bad of a deal. And hey, Lucifer's a good show."

"This is illegal..." everyone hears you as you whine underneath the bed. "You can't force me to work for your stupid police force. I don't even have a degree in that."

You peek from under the blankets to see Noodles crossing his arms, a look of agreement on his face.

"Well thievery is illegal as well..." Maverick easily tells you through his lips. "And, well, I suppose I can pay you handsomely-"

You choke, throwing the sheets off your body to stare at him with wide eyes. Your eyes practically shine like gold dollar signs.

"When do we start?" you ask a little too eagerly. Maverick laughs.