27

content warning:
d!ckhead vinnie

maddy's pov

The sun was starting to set making the drive towards in-n-out slightly more enjoyable. Jules had thankfully cooled down a bit during the ride and we were now laughing about how Hannah had put in the effort to print out a pretty good photo of me, print out an X rather than drawing one, and taping it to a rock.

"I'm just imagining her running around her garden trying to find a rock big enough," Jules laughed.

I burst into laughter, "why do I see her crawling around like a fucking rat," I wipe the corner of my eyes, wiping away the tears.

"Sniffing the ground trying to find a rock," she laughs making me laugh harder.

We pull into the in-n-out parking lot and jump out, excited for food after a long, hard day of shopping.

Walking in, I look around and see that it's not too packed, but it's relatively busy considering it was a Saturday night.

Once we order and get our food, we get a small booth and sit down.

"Are those the hype house guys?" Jules asks looking past me as she sips her drink.

"Tell me you're lying," I deadpan. She chuckles and looks back at me, "yeah that's definitely them,".

"Who's there?" I ask, not daring to turn around whilst praying that Vinnie wasn't there.

"Thomas, Alex, Kouvr, Mia, Michael and, oh, Jack," she smiles when she sees him.

"Do you like Jack or something?"

"No, god no. I'm very into Ryland still. I just think that if this whole Vinnie thing doesn't work out for you then you should get with Jack. He's cute and I think he likes you," she wiggles her eyebrows.

"No he doesn't. Absolutely not," I shake my head. I see Jack as a friend and as a friend only. I mean, he's cute and sweet and not a dickhead like Vinnie— but that's about it.

"Oh shit, he saw me," she looks down at her food as she sips her drink.

"Jules!"

She pokes her head up and waves to them.

"Damnit," I mumble then lean out of the booth and look behind me.

"Maddy!" Jack says as he gets out of his seat.

Jules slides out of the booth first with me following. She hugs Jack then he turns to me, "long time no see," he grins as he wraps me into a hug, lifting me off the ground making me laugh.

"What're you guys up to tonight?" He asks after he sets me back down.

"Celebrating this one's eighteenth," Jules pokes me.

"It's your birthday? No way! Happy birthday!" He hugs me again.

"Thank you," I smile.

"Come join us," he waves us over towards the table with the others.

I look at Jules but she shrugs and grabs her food.

I love those guys, I do, but right now I just felt awkward. Surely they know something about Vinnie ignoring me or even why he's ignoring me.

I pick up my food and bring it over to the table.

"Maddy!" Kouvr jumps up and pulls me into a hug, "we've missed you!" 

"I've missed you guys too!" I reply as Mia gets up and hugs me as well.

"Hey, kiddo. How's it going," Michael gives me a side hug as he stays seated.