chapter 13

The ruins of deadclaw was said to be named after the now fossilized beasts that once ravaged a small kingdom, chasing all the citizens out into hiding and then taking over the place for themselves. The beasts were said to be giants in size, with claws that could easily wipe away more than 500 acres of land in a single strike. And that power was never to be forgotten to time.

Though now, I wouldn't say there was much to see. Or at least not from what I could tell from my view. The guardian of Veyhuar was lowering her hovered body closer and closer to the once lively area, until she landed on the soft, spiritless surface.

Bones, corpses and ashy ruins were the consistent theme of the area. And a smell of rotten, dead flesh to match with it. The only thing that was rich about this place, was the soil. A deep burgundy softness, carpeted the ground beneath the feet of the dragon which carried us.

As the four of us each dismounted the guardian of Veyhuar, we were suddenly met with an unnerving chill in the air, causing me to shiver and hug myself stiffly. This place felt very similar to a dug up graveyard, quite honestly.

I figured that, luckily, we wouldn't be here for long. We were simply here to collect charcoal beetles and then leave.

"According to my sources and their coordinates, there should be an inactivity volcano near the edge out of the these ruins and their outer banks." Explained Mirume. "This volcano was said to have destroyed the very same beasts that chased away the former citizens of what was once, a beautiful and civil castle town and turned it into the ashes that we see today."

I nodded in understanding, as we continued to walk through this frightening atmosphere. The guardian of Veyhuar had magically shrunk down to her miniature size to level with us as we travelled now on foot. She looked so small and adorable. The rough cyan features on her skin shone magnificently, like wet glass in the reflection of the early morning sun. She was a very beautiful dragon.

As we continued to travel, it started to make itself visible to our eyes. The olden volcano of deadclaw. It was typically large and rough in texture.  Though it still had somewhat of a laval glow to it. As we came closer to it, we witnessed the small creatures that we were here to collect. The materials known as charcoal beetles.

This, shockingly, had been a fairly easy task. We'd arrived, found our items and all we had to do now, was collect and leave. It was as simple as that and then we were off to the following destination. The river of Izabeth.

"Sweet! I mean boring but still, sweet!" Said Jesse in an amused manner. He approaches the volcano and reached to start picking off the charcoal beetles from it. And as he did, the ground began to rumble and shake steadily.

"You just had to open your big mouth, didn't you?" I said to Jesse and to that, he shrugged in a careless manner and a half smile.

Suddenly, the volcano began to glow more brightly as if it were ready to reactivate. And then, from within, we saw a creature rise up into the air, wings spread wide. As burgundy as the dirt on the ground in this God forsaken place and a physical size as massive as a meteor.

It was a dragon. One of the flame element. This dragon must have been the very reason that this volcano was ever active. But what business did this dragon have in a place that held absolutely no life whatsoever?

"I see." Tazor said, thoughtfully, causing myself, Mirume and Jesse to turn our heads, eyes and attention towards him.

"The charcoal beetles. She's protecting them." He explained. "She must be a mother to them." And that's when we started to realize that coming here, may have been a poor decision.

But it wasn't long before it was brought to our attention that we had a protector of our own. That protector being none other than the guardian of Veyhuar.  And within an instant of time, the mama dragon grew to her original and maximum size, and in all her power and glory as she rivaled the blood red dragon that now stood before her.

The two mighty beasts glared at one another, threateningly. And in a moment of intimidation, myself and my three companions stepped back, synchronously. This was an unbelievable and epic experience to behold. We were going to witness something terrible but so purely amazing, all at once.

What we were about to see, would be a raging battle between two great and powerful dragons.