chapter 1

My name is May Yanagi, a scholarly student at Scal-horia magic school. A place where many different magics become one. Those being the magic of learning, the magic of reading and the magic of, well, magic!

But people always tell me that I don't exactly look as though magic is my gig. That if anything, I look like my life goal is to be a pirate. I mean, hey, my short brown hair and beaming green eyes as well as my near magenta colored skin, fit that description maybe. But the truth is, I love magic because to me, it's just another word for freedom. Honestly if people really knew that magic isn't just casting spells, that it's a way of life, a state of mind, a sense of freedom, maybe they'd be as happygolucky as I tend to be.

Uh ahem. Sorry, that was me going into a bit of a tangent. Anyway, I take several classes per day, six days per week. It's not as tough as it is fun and adventurous, in my own opinion. But that's just me.

But lately, there's this one guy in my classes who I've had my eye on. Not in a creepy way or anything, but rather in a suspicious way. Just who is he? and just how is it that one can be as odd as he?

I didn't pay very close attention at the beginning, but as I sat only inches away from him in most of our classes, I noticed that, while he was very hard at work in each class, he didn't seem to be working on the same assignments and lessons given to myself as well as the rest of our fellow students. In fact, the only time I'd seen him genuinely engaged in what was happening around him,  was either in general magic class and any alchemy classes.

Outside of the two, he only seemed to be lost in his own books and studies. Maybe they were some sort of lame comic books. Then again, no. Comic books don't typically come in 500 page, hardcover novels.  And besides whatever was inside of those books, he didn't seem to find it very funny.

At times, he would ask to leave the classroom and would noticably take with him, his personal collection of said, various books. Most times, he wouldn't be back for an hour or two. Well this time, I was waiting for it. This time, I'd follow him.

As usual, I sat at the desk nearest to him. Currently, we were in shape shifting class. The teacher was monotonously giving an extensive lecture on the difference between shape shifting into animals or objects closer to one's height and weight, and then shape shifting into animals or objects with a significant size and weight difference in comparison to the spellcaster. Normally, I'd be drawn in entirely towards the lesson. This time, more than half of my attention was aimed at the strange boy and his books.

His name is Mirume. He has gentle brown skin and vibrant purple hair. His eyes are a feminine, light shade of blue. His clothes were far from the required uniform as they were loose, blandly colored with no consistent synchrony and he wore jewelry in deep, dark colors of midnight blue and a similar purple.  His necklace and earrings looked as though they held some magic in them. But surely they didn't. Magic items aren't allowed in our classes.

His books were a darker, more dull shade of purple than his hair, but much lighter than his jewelry. They had various, strange symbols on them that I couldn't quite make out from where I had been sitting. Were they symbols of magic? Or something else maybe? Were there perhaps, forms of magic to his knowledge that I, myself had been unaware of?

As determined as I was to seek out answers, I was anything but confident in my chance of getting solid information.

Suddenly, breaking through my thin wire of thought, he raised his hand, requesting to leave to the library room of the school.

"Mr Marr, may I be excused to the library?" His voice felt somewhat rushed yet restrained. His eyes barely focused on the teacher, who he was addressing. Carelessly, Mr Marr allowed Mirume to step out of the room and didn't put a second thought at it. But I, on the other hand, well, let's just say that now was my time to spring into action.

I first waited for Mirume to leave  the room and close the door behind him. Almost simultaneously to the sound of the door being shut, I stood up and asked that I may be excused as well. And Mr Marr, while allowing me to go, gave me a friendly look that let me know that he was aware of what my intentions were. And with a nod, I left the room, swiftly but silently.