12 - Chocolate Chips

I truly don't have time for this right now. 

It was just after noon in the bakery which meant a lunch rush, and this lady was taking forever picking what she wanted, changing her mind, and asking for modifications on pre-made food. 

I was already stressed enough and didn't need her adding to it, life in the service industry I guess. 

My stomach was in a ball of nerves thinking about my plans for tomorrow, Justin and I were taking Kaden to the aquarium and it would be our first family outing. 

Can we even be considered a family? Probably, I mean to outsiders we would look like one they just have no idea we're actually some weird mishmashed family. 

This might not seem like a big deal but I haven't had to be alone with Justin since he left really, Kaden will be with us but how much can a 15-month-old add to a conversation. 

I'll answer for you, not a whole lot. 

This means I'm either going to have to deal with awkward silence the whole time or equally awkward conversation, which seems like a lose-lose situation to me. 

The thought of our upcoming aquarium visit stays on my mind for the rest of the day as I bake and ring up customers, by the time I'm done working on auto-pilot the day is over and I'm driving to my parent's house for dinner. 

My mom had the day off and offered to watch Kaden for me, and my younger sister Alexis was home from University for the weekend. 

I park in the driveway behind my dad's car and walk straight into the house, opening the door to the sound of laughter, mostly Kaden's, and the smell of something delicious. I leave my purse and keys at the front before walking towards the noise and see my sister playing airplane with Kaden and my dad chasing behind them. 

I decide not to interrupt them and walk over to greet my mom cooking at the stove. 

"So what's for dinner?" I ask while putting my arms around her and giving her a slight squeeze. 

"Honey garlic pork chops and some mashed potatoes." She answers while simultaneously mashing said potatoes. 

"Anything I can do to help?" I turn to see my sister holding Kaden and my dad is now playing peek-a-boo with him. 

"Grab the cream and butter from the fridge for me."

I grab them both and hand them over to her, noticing her glance at me like she wants to say something, and knowing my mother she definitely will.

"So, I hear you're taking Kaden to the aquarium tomorrow, that sounds like fun he's never been before." I can hear her trying to be nonchalant but she's failing miserably. 

"Yeah, I told you about the trip already." I go to put the butter and cream back in the fridge seeing she's done with them. 

"I know but I ran into Justin's mother yesterday, Nicole. She mentioned it, and then we had a lovely conversation about the two of you."

I can already tell this isn't going to end well for me.

"Well, that's nice." I decide to hold off on any questions and just see where this goes.

"Mhm, I don't remember you saying that Justin would be going with you as well." She starts spooning the potatoes into a bowl to be brought to the table. 

"Sorry, I thought I told you he would be." I take a quick glance over my shoulder and see both my dad and sister pretending not to listen.

"How are you feeling about it? I know you haven't been on a date in a while." She slips past me with the potatoes in one hand and the pork chops in the other.

I quickly follow behind her with the dinner plates. "Mom trust me, it is not a date he just wants to spend time with Kaden."

I give my dad a kiss on the cheek and Alexis a hug before sitting down next to Kaden in his highchair. 

"Date? What date, why wasn't I told you were going on a date?" My dad finally decides to jump in.

I resist the urge to slam my head into the table before responding to both of them. 

"There's no date dad, Justin and I are taking Kaden to the aquarium tomorrow, that's all." 

"You two are going alone? Where's Asher why isn't he going?" We all start taking food onto our plates, which I hoped would end the conversation, but when has luck ever been on my side?

"Asher isn't coming, this is so Justin can bond and spend time with Kaden. Not me." I put some mashed potatoes and cut up pork chop on Kaden's table so he can start eating, making sure his sippy cup has enough water in it. 

"Anyways, Alexis, tell me all about school how's it going?" I end all possibilities for that conversation to continue. 

After that dinner went smoothly and nobody brought up Justin or the aquarium. Until we were leaving that is. 

"I just want to make sure you know what you're getting into here." My mom pulled me aside as my dad puts a sleeping Kaden in the car.

"I'm not getting into anything here mom, Kaden's dad wants to get to know him and I don't want to be the person who standing in the way of that."

"It's just, you two have a long history behind you. I just want to make sure you won't get hurt again." 

I pull my mom into a hug knowing she means well, there isn't a single moment where I didn't think about this trip to the aquarium and what could happen. But I don't want to be the mom who keeps their child away from the father just because of the past, I need to do what's best for my son.

I pull out of my parent's driveway deep in thought, the idea of being essentially alone with Justin tomorrow scares me but if all goes well I'll be seeing a lot more of him. 

I'll just have to get over it. 

*****

Heyyyyyyyy

It's been a while and I feel so bad but I'm back and writing like my life depends on it, this book will be done very soon. Only 4-5 more chapters and that will be the end!

Do you think a spark will rekindle between Justin and Addison? 

Let me know what you guys think!

As always don't forget to comment and vote!

Have a sunny morning, afternoon, evening, and night