8 - Baking Powder

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR OVER 800 READS!!! We're only 8 chapters in, that's so crazy, thank you guys so much. 

Time skip to when Kaden's 15 months old (1 year and 3 months), it's February.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and thanks again!

I can hear Asher and Kaden playing as I gather everything I'll need for my little trip today. I'm going to see Nicole for lunch. 

We've been meeting for lunch a few times every month per her request, just so she can stay updated and have a better relationship. She requested this after we had a bit of a falling out a little after Kaden was born when she realized I gave him my last name. 

Seeing that she is a single mother I assumed this would be something she understood, it was not, but he's not here and therefore has no opinion. 

Eventually, we came to an understanding, especially since I was not changing his last name because someone disagreed with my choice. 

It's crazy how much Kaden has grown and changed over this past year, he's walking and talking now. He may not be very good at either but he's doing them nonetheless, and I love seeing him look up at me for confirmation after doing either. 

I quickly look myself over in the mirror and pick up some of Kaden's toys from the floor and make my way downstairs.

I can hear Kaden's giggles as Asher pretends to fight the monster, currently being played by Kaden's Octopus plushie named Ollie. I let them play for a little longer before announcing my presence.

"Okay boys, I'm gonna get going now." I gain their attention and Asher puts the octopus down like he wasn't being attacked by it moments ago. 

"You're leaving already?" Asher asks, a little out of breath from the performance he just put on. 

"Yeah, it's almost 1 pm, I told Nicole I'd be there before 1:30." I gather a few things and leave them by the door before turning and opening my arms to Kaden. 

He doesn't hesitate before running, kind of, over to me and jumping in my arms. I spin around a few times, smothering his face in kisses as if I haven't seen him in days when in reality it was no more than half an hour. 

"Did you have fun playing with Uncle A while Mommy was upstairs?" I sit him on my hip and walk to the front door. The last time we tried to get Kaden to pronounce Asher or anything close to it, he just ended up saying ass so we figured 'A' would be easiest for the time being.

"Uh-huh." He shakes his head instead of nodding, but I understand anyway.

"Good, now Mommy has to go to Grandma's for lunch while you stay with Uncle A." 

"I come?" He asks in the sweetest voice, laying his head on my chest.

"Not this time, but you get to stay and have so much fun with Uncle A. He might even give you some yummy treats." 

I place Kaden on a seat near the door and he begins babbling some real and made-up words, I sit beside him and slip on my shoes. 

I stand up once they're both on and he shuffles off the chair walking towards Asher, holding his arms up. This isn't anything new, the second he knew how to walk he was always walking around asking for hugs and kisses. 

Asher tosses him around in the air, nearly giving me a heart attack each time, before swinging Kaden onto his hip and coming towards me. 

"I don't know why you keep going to these lunches, but have fun."

"Oh, you know exactly why." I smile and kiss him and Kaden on the cheek before leaving.

I pull up to Nicole's house and park in the driveway beside her car. I grab my bag and walk up to her front door, getting ready to knock when the door is opened before my fist even touches the wood.