Chapter 9 - Celebrations

Start from the beginning

Robert smiled heartily and replied, 'The first daughter to marry in this house. You look splendid... I don't think there are words to describe how I feel.'

Emma beamed and she went over to him.

'Careful, dear, otherwise you'll ruin your dress.'

Emma chuckled as she reached him and said, 'I know... I just can't wait to see him.'

Robert offered his arm to Emma.

'I know he is just as anxious as you are.' Robert murmured.

Emma took her father's arm, beaming.

'Let's not keep him waiting.' Emma said, her heart thumping against her ribcage.

It was a picturesque scene. Just as Emma and Robert went over to the front of the house. The ground was touched by red, orange and yellow autumn leaves. There was a sleek white open carriage, which was pulled by two white horses and the coachman dressed finely as he awaited Emma and Robert. Emma was assisted by Anna and Robert onto the carriage, she reminded herself to be gentle with the veil and the train of her wedding dress. Robert hopped in after Emma had sat comfortably in the carriage. Once Robert sat down next to Emma, he closed the carriage door and the coachman shook the rope attached to the horses and the carriage started to move.

Just as they reached Ripon there was gentle sound of cheers and as they rode closer, Emma saw it was people all around from York who had come over to see the bride and celebrate. Emma couldn't stop herself from smiling and seeing people smiling, giving her best luck and wishes and waving at her, she waved back. Robert chuckled and waved too. Emma glanced up to see they had placed white streamers and banners around the buildings. There were also children and women leaning against open windows and throwing confetti into the air.

About fifteen minutes later, Emma could see the church within the distance and she had heard the church bells ringing and Emma thought it was one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. Emma couldn't stop beaming as she continued waving at the people who came to see her. She was sure to engrave the memory of this day and the church and it reminded Emma of Christmas cards when she was a small child. She remembered after the family Christmas service, she came up to the church and prayed.

Once they arrived at the church, the coachman had stopped the horses and Barrow opened the door for Robert to climb down. Emma could still see and hear the cheers from the people, she had seen them wave at her. Robert had offered his hand for Emma to take as she climbed out of the carriage and she waved back at the crowd.

Mary was with her as her maid of honour and Matthew was James' man of honour. Mary held out Emma's bouquet and handed them to her after she had readjusted her wedding dress.

The bells had continued to play right until the moment Emma and Robert linked in arms walked down to the church. Then the music changed to one of Emma's and James' choosing, they chose Pachelbel in the D. Emma's eyes were on James, who had his back facing towards her.

Emma couldn't wait to reach him; she gripped her father's arm as they walked slowly towards the alter and Emma saw all of the people who were in her and James' life were there. She had seen the servants of Downton on the left, along with her friends and their families that she knew of. She had seen a few of her close friends and girls that she came out with in London. On the right were people in James' life. Unfortunately, he didn't have any family members left so they were filled with friends from London, Manchester and Liverpool and childhood associates and colleagues.

Soon as she reached James. He finally turned to Emma and he smiled angelically, his eyes widened in surprise and Emma beamed at her fiancé. Robert placed Emma's hand onto James's.