Chapter 8 - Pandemic

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well. I am back with another chapter, I had been editing this chapter heavily and I'm still not satisfied with it, but it is better than it was before. I am happy to say that I am taking a well-earned break from work. I never realised I had been working 2 years straight without taking any leave so I had decided to take a month off and relax. Also COVID restrictions had been lifted and I am looking forward to going out.

Without taking more of your time, enjoy reading Episode 8 – Pandemic.

April 1919. Matthew and Lavinia's wedding was being set up all around Downton with the aid from the servants. Emma was trying to be supportive of Mary, but Mary had carved a thick wall between her true emotions and appearance towards everyone. She had expressed she was pleased but there was a small look of despair behind her eyes that made Emma really wanted to comfort her but she had restrained herself, knowing that Mary wanted to appear as being fine and strong.

Emma could see James wasn't coping well of the wedding celebration either when the date was drawing closer, Emma didn't exactly blame him. This was almost him marrying the wrong woman. James tried not to look at the wedding decorations and walk away as swiftly as he could. Emma could see it was a stroke luck of fate that had stopped him from making the biggest mistake. Emma wasn't an idiot to see that James was rather shaken at Grace's betrayal and it had left scars on him, he barely talked to Emma nor even could he even look at her. Mostly, he had spent his time avoiding Emma.

Mary had shrugged off her feelings towards Matthew, stating to Emma that she was fine, and soon it would be her and Richard marrying. Emma still couldn't believe that Mary was going to marry that horrid man, although she found a bit of comfort knowing that Mary hadn't set a date. She had seen Sir Richard and Mary conversing and it didn't look like they were a happy engaged couple, but rather two people having to put with each other.

Emma had arrived at the hall where her Mama, Lavinia, Mary, Cousin Isobel, and Mrs. Hughes had gathered after deciding to stretch her legs after finishing reading Howards End by E.M. Forster.

'We can put the presents in the drawing room against the window.' Cora suggested.

'Very good, milady.' Mrs. Hughes replied, leaving to relay the message to the servants and she left.

'I suppose we do have to display all the presents,' Isobel stated, looking at the wrapped gifts. 'It can look rather greedy.'

Emma sighed and moved her eyes away from the presents.

'I can't bear the disruption we seem to have brought down on your heads.' Lavinia apologised.

'Don't be silly.' Cora said, placing a comforting arm on Lavinia.