Episode 5 - Causalities

Hi everyone, I am back with another chapter. I couldn't update earlier due to work. This morning I had set out to edit this chapter and I am glad the way it turned out and I hope you do too. I have nearly finished writing season 3, I have a couple of episodes to write. I can't wait to write Rose into the story!

Without anymore babbling, enjoy reading episode 5!

August 1918.

Emma was in the library, already putting Pride and Prejudice down on the table and she stood up to stare out of the window with a good view of the grounds. She had been doing this a lot for the past few months, just staring through the window at the grounds, ruminating...

She didn't know how much time had passed since she had staring past the window when she felt a quick wave of dizziness through her head, it was like her vision was moving funnily and there was a swoop of coldness and the next thing she knew was that she had blacked out...

'Emma?'

'Can you hear me, Emma?'

'Emma!'

Emma's eyes fluttered open and she glanced around to see her parents and Sybil.

'What happened, Emma?' Robert asked her gently, as he sat on the edge of her bed.

Emma winced as she tried to sit up and looked around to see she was in her bedroom, and the sun had gone down.

'I-I don't know. I remembered being in the library and then I felt...dizzy...and a feeling of pure coldness.'

Cora and Sybil glanced at each other.

'What?' Emma asked.

'Just earlier, Mary said she also felt cold out of nowhere.'

The news came in late that night. Everyone knew that someday, something like this could happen. Although everyone prayed that it would never come. Emma was stone cold and frozen on the spot, even her facial expression of neutrality was still.

'I didn't know what else to do when I saw the telegram. I knew it was urgent. So, I hope it was right.' Moseley said shakily, as the family gathered in the small library.

'Quite right,' said Robert, 'Mrs. Crawley won't mind my opening it. The main thing is, he's not dead. Not yet, anyway. "We have patched him up. They're bringing him to the hospital in Downton."

Emma chewed the inside of her mouth.

'When do they think he'll get here?' Cora asked Robert worriedly.

'It doesn't say.'

'But how do we contact Isobel? And how will she get back?'

'One thing at a time. I'll ring the war office in the morning.' Robert soothed his wife.