Chapter 9 - Celebrations

Start from the beginning

But today, she had reached a new chapter of her life.

Although, Branson, Sybil and Emma's maternal grandmother couldn't attend the wedding, she had received wedding gifts from them and wrote a note to thank them. Emma wasn't close with her maternal grandmother, who was an American socialist named Martha Levinson, due to distance. She enjoyed her life living in America with her son that Emma never met.

'Emma, are you up yet?' Cora asked as she knocked on the door.

'I am decent, you may come in.' Emma said as Anna had finished her makeup.

The door opened to reveal Cora, Mary and Edith, they were already dressed in pale lilac dresses.

'How are you feeling?' Edith asked her, smiling a little and clasping her hands together.

Emma beamed widely and said, 'I don't have the words to describe how I feel.'

Everyone chuckled.

'Are you ready?' Mary asked Emma.

Emma nodded, 'I am. I don't think I can wait any longer.'

'Here is your dress, my lady.' Anna said, holding out a white garment.

'Well, it's now or never.' Emma said, smiling adoringly at her wedding dress, which was a slim, beaded bridal gown with flattering starburst pattern and floaty cap sleeves.

Anna and Cora helped Emma into her wedding dress and helped do her hair into a wavy bun and put on pearl earrings. Mary gave Emma her bouquet of roses, silver dollar greenery, Veronica line flowers, dahlia's, lisianthus and astilbes. Cora placed a Floral wedding tiara on Emma's head and Edith adjusted her veil and Emma glanced at herself when they had finished her look.

'Oh, my darling, you look very beautiful.' Cora said, a tear poured down her beautiful blue eyes.

'Mama...' Emma sighed, turning pink at the attention she was receiving.

'It's true, you look really pretty.' Edith said, smiling adoringly. 'James' breath would be taken away just by the sight of you.'

'All right, we should go, otherwise Mama will start blubbering.' Mary said and she kissed Emma's cheek gently and said, 'I'll see you at the church, darling.'

Emma nodded and watched as Mary left the room.

'I still can't believe you're getting married,' Edith said, shrugging, 'but James is perfect for you. I'm very pleased.'

Emma nodded at Edith's approval and Edith leaned over and kissed Emma's cheek and followed Mary.

Emma turned to her mother and asked, 'Is there anything I should know before I get married, Mama? Any advice?'

Cora gave a watery smile and said, 'I only wish you lots of happiness and love, and I am very happy for you finding your true love, my lovely daughter.'

Emma blushed and Cora went over to her and gently cupped Emma's face and kissed her cheek. Emma wanted to embrace her mother to soothe her, but Cora pulled away with a glowing smile, reassuring Emma that she was fine.

'Well, I'd better go down before O'Brien scolds me.'

Emma breathed deeply and glanced down to see she was all set. She got up and took her time to walk down the stairs and at the bottom of the stairs was Robert, who was going to walk Emma down the aisle. Emma steeled in her nerves by gripping her bouquet.

Robert gapped at his daughter.

'What do you think, Papa?' Emma asked with nerves settling in her stomach.