03 | the late Mr. Jones is very present

It was Kai.

That mocking, sarcastic, and accented voice was none other than Kai's. But Kai was dead. He was dead.

Right?

I flipped around, the grip of my fingers on my flask loosening in fear. I was feeling nauseous. The room was dark but the moonlight gave it a tinted glow and I didn't know what I was going to see but then, I saw.

He entered through my wall.

He was standing there, in the middle of my room, his hands in his pockets and a sly grin showing his perfect set of white teeth.

How many times did this guy brush his teeth?

He was wearing an attire which I had never seen him in. A white shirt, paired with a black blazer and blue jeans. He looked so old, so mature and so...bright.

I could see the beginnings of a light stubble on his chiseled face, even in the dull light. I was sure that I was dreaming, so I did what someone does to wake up from a dream.

I fainted.

***

Everything was black until I realized that I was sleeping, which meant I had to open my eyes to see something. My eyelids fluttered as the sunlight hit my face and I groaned in annoyance.

Who the fuck opened the curtains?

I stirred and let out a loud yawn. Stretching my arms out, I took a look at my wall clock.

5 am

That was quite early. I could have used another hour of sleep.

"Good morning."

The voice made me still and my eyes grew wide as I stared at the ceiling, afraid to move.

No. No. No. I was having a nightmare. I should try sleeping again.

I tried to reason with myself but my curiosity got the best of me, forcing me to turn my head to my right and my eyes fell on him.

Kai was sitting on my chair, his elbows resting on his knees with his hands clasped together. He looked at me with lazy eyes and a small smile.

I blinked as I took him in with the hope that I would notice something which would justify me still having a nightmare but there was none. I pulled myself to sit up, adrenaline coursing through every vein in my body. Gripping the blanket, I moved to a far corner of my queen-sized bed and away from him.

He chuckled. "Relax, Novi. I ain't gonna hurt you."

His words didn't relieve me at all, instead, the mere fact that he was speaking to me creeped me out.

There's a ghost in my room.

There's a dead boy in my room.

A dead boy!

Finally, I opened my mouth to say something but he beat me to it.

"Novi, just listen to me," Kai said, in a calm manner.

"Wh...wh...who...are you? Why do you look...li...lik...like him?" I stammered, pointing a finger at the imposter.

"What?" he asked, looking surprised. "You don't know me? I'm Kai! Remember the disgusting guy who makes demeaning gestures and bullies you? Kai Jones?"

"No! You can't be him. He is dead. I'm having a nightmare!" I clutched my locket and closed my eyes, taking deep breaths.

That didn't do much good because I was already pretty calm. Like really...calm.