Chapter 23. Amends

Start from the beginning

Nathaniel remained silent for a while, his distant expression lost in deep thought. He turned to the guards who were standing behind him, and in response, they straightened their stance as they waited for an order.

"Seize her."

Lady Sophia was stunned into silence, her eyes wide and unblinking. He ignored her gaze, looking to the side with an uninterested expression. Two of his soldiers came up behind her, preparing to grab her by the arms. Once she felt her left arm being grabbed, she immediately pushed the soldier away from her. He fumbled back slightly, both stopping when Lord Nathaniel raised his hand.

"What are you doing Nathan?" Lady Sophia took a step forward, placing a hand over her chest. "Don't you love me?"

He made his way towards her, standing inches away as his eyes gazed down to meet hers. He didn't like the way she addressed him, only those he permitted could address him by his first name, and he never recalled telling her she could. For a second, she felt a thrill of hope seeing him near her, believing that maybe he had changed his mind afterall.

"Let me get this into your sick head. I never loved you, I only used you for my own gain." He spoke coldly. "But after what you've done to Olivia, you absolutely disgust me and I want nothing more than for you to rot in a prison cell."

His words felt like a dagger being twisted in her heart, tears had even begun forming in her eyes. Although the woman believed what she felt for him was love, Nathaniel knew that wasn't the case. Maybe she was in love, but only with his title and power, it was never about him.

"Don't tell me you actually have feelings for her?" She said in disbelief.

He continued to stare at her blankly, not caring much for what she had to say. He knew her including the rest of the room was waiting for an answer, but he would not give them one.

"I only want to know one thing." She furrowed as fresh tears fell down her cheeks. "Why her, Nathan?"

His silence and uncaring expression only made her more furious, and so she spoke again only louder.

"What do you see in her and not in me?"

In her mind, she couldn't possibly fathom how he would choose that human over her. He continued to ignore her, making his way out of the room. He had made his point clear that he had no interest at all in being with her, and that was all he needed to say. He didn't owe her or anyone else an explanation for anything.

"Get her out of my sight."

The guards went up behind her again, she tried to pull away again but their grip was more forceful this time. She struggled in their hold, screaming and cursing as she was dragged away.

"Unhand my daughter right now." The Duke pointed his finger as he commanded for her release.

Lord Nathaniel turned his back to him, rolling his eyes. He had lost his patience with them, and didn't care for what they had to say anymore. The guards continued dragging her away, and as they did Lord Nathaniel headed towards the staircase where he was planning to leave the room and end this whole fiasco.

"I said unhand my daughter right now Lord Nathaniel." He ordered once again as she finally disappeared from the room.

"Are you forgetting who you're speaking to, Duke?"

"You're imprisoning my daughter over some peasant?"

There was still no response, and the Lord continued to exit the room as he turned his back to them.

"Everyone was right about you Lord Nathaniel. You've always been too merciful to the humans, and now you've got some infatuation with one. My daughter should've ended that pathetic girl's life when she had the cha-"