Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

"Hey um...there's a guy in here that's giving me weird vibes. He won't stop staring at me. And I know I'm probably overreacting and he's probably..."

Austin's demeanor and tone of voice changed in an instant before she could speak her next words.

"I'm walking through the doors. Don't move." Austin said firmly.

Within seconds, Kenzie saw Austin's large muscular body parting the crowd of people. He stood out in his t-shirt and worn out jeans that were a little too casual for the bar. Austin scanned every single person that he passed and his expression was as hard as stone, assessing everyone for potential threats as he made his way over to the bar.

"You okay?" He asked, looking her up and down.

"Yeah, I just got a weird feeling. It's stupid really."

"Gut feelings are never stupid." Austin corrected her.

Making his way around the side of the bar, Austin leaned against the bar top on his forearms.

"Which one spooked you, Doll?" Austin asked, still looking around the room.

"The guy in the dark hat in the back left corner. He's sitting at the table alone. Just staring." Kenzie said as she glanced at the man who was still unapologetically staring at her.

Looking over his shoulder, Austin made eye contact with the man and stared him down, giving him a chin lift of acknowledgement.

"Yeah I see you, fucker." Austin mumbled under his breath.

"Do me a favor Kenz, walk behind the bar over there to that cooler and grab something, then come right back here."

Moving instantly, Kenzie tried to remain calm and casual as she made her way over to the cooler, side stepping the other bartender as she opened the small door, grabbed a beer and brought it over to Austin.

"Bastard's watching you for sure. Not only that, but he's got a pad of paper in his hand. No date. No drink. Just sittin up here watching you and taking notes. I don't fucking like it and I'm getting you the hell out of here." Austin said in an angry voice that Kenzie wasn't accustomed to.

"But first..." Austin added as he took hold of the beer that Kenzie had brought over and chugged the entire contents of the bottle.

"....first I'm gonna scare the shit out of him."

Austin held out his hand to Kenzie, waiting for her to take his head instead of forcing physical contact on her. Austin was harmless and if Hunter trusted him then she did too which meant she had no problem taking his hand and letting him lead her through the crowded room.

Walking in front of her, Austin led her through the sea of people, but made a quick turn and started heading directly for the man in question.

What are you doing Austin? Let's just leave. 

"Hey dick fuck, something wrong with your eyes?" Austin yelled.

The man didn't respond verbally, but he stood and backed up a few paces, putting space between himself and Austin.

"Yeah I see you and if you set foot in this place again, I'll beat your fucking ass, you hear me?" Austin continued to yell, prompting the man to ball his fists, then quickly turn to leave out the back exit with his hat still pulled down, hiding his face.

"Pussy." Austin muttered under his breath as he watched the man leave. "Come on let's get you out of here."

Still holding Kenzie at his back, Austin led her through the crowd, giving a description of the guy to the bouncer before he helped Kenzie into the passenger seat of his car.