Chapter 5

Taani wore a jean joggers, sleeveless pink crop top and shoes. She walked with a newspaper towards a table in the canteen. It was early in the morning and recently her routine had included to visit canteen for a quick check into the news just to calm her mental stress. As usual, she sat in her place and opened the paper glancing through the headlines.

A mug of brewing coffee decorated with sugar clouds along with a plate of choco chip cookies were served on her table. She was surprised to look at the beverages in front of her. Because she didn't order it. "Ye aapke liye hi hai, Didi" the canteen boy smiled at her. There was no self servicing in the canteen and his actions confused her even more. To top it, others who were early to the college stared at her in wonder, including gang. She could literally see the murmurs erupting among the gang members. Maybe because of all the special previliges she received. "Lekin mein toh order hi nahi Kiya na…" she was perplexed. Instead of answering, the boy just walked away.  Her eyes wandered awkwardly at the surroundings. Fortunately, everyone turned back into their actual gobbling.

Except for the one who watched her silently. Rey. He sat with the gang discussing the earlier practice routines. For a second he would have caught Taani's eye if he hadn't turned back. Then again, he didn't mind even if she seized him, watching her. But it would annoy her. And he wouldn't want to trouble her. So he acted as if he didn't watch her while her gaze zeroed on him for a milli second.

Taani hesitated to even touch the plate or mug let alone drink. But who would do all of this. And the surprising fact was none knew she loved Choco chip cookies dipped in Americano coffee with cotton candy except… Rey. That's the reason she tried to grab his attention. But he didn't look at her once during her eye stare. It disappointed her a little. But she pushed it aside. She wasn't going to be a scapegoat of her own feelings. She wouldn't let any kind of emotions towards him feeble her. Besides, the beverages made her mouth fill with water. Making a prayer of a gratitude to the one who ordered it for her, she dipped the cookies and munched her snacks until the cotton candy melted into the coffee turning it's taste essence. She then sipped the coffee. The warmth spread across her stomach filling her with a morning caffeine.

Rey's lips curled up in a smug as he watched her sipping the Americano. He had the advantage of knowing her likes and dislikes. It was him who made sure Taani received her morning dose of coffee from now on. Not just that. He was adamant to be particular with her full food. This made no difference for her if she got to know that it was done by him. But it made hell lot of contrast for him. He knew she wouldn't forgive him if he try to put his face in her breathing space. So he had opted an exact opposite route. He would stay far away from her. He would do it if it all meant she was happy. Her happiness was his first priority. He would give her the required space. At the same time, he would put all his efforts to win her back. This time he wasn't going to fail in it.

"Hi Taani" Rithvik unexpectedly perched on the opposite seat to Taani. She choked real hard at the last bit of drink at his sudden presence. Rey stood up at once.

"Oh man…" Rithvik hopped down of the stool  immediately and patted her back. Rey snapped his eyes and his mouth shut. Gang was fascinated at the actions and reactions.

"Did I scare you?"  Rithvik was really concerned. She fiddled at the strange affair. Her eyes locked with Rey and both stared. Swayam apprehended Taani & Rey watching each other, along with boys of the gang. "What's going on?" Simmi rose her eyebrow at Taani & Rithwik sarcastically. "Chemistry…." Boys responded. "Kya bola tum log?" Swayam frowned at their match making process. "Are kuch nahi Swayam... Kuch bi nahi" Vicky put his hand across Swayam's shoulder trying to cool him down n signalling boys to shut up.

Taani snatched her gaze right away from Rey. She shouldn't feel bad about it. They weren't doing any bad thing. But the accusing look of Rey… which was directed at Rithwik was dangerous. Rithwik still held her n patted. "I'm fine…." She whispered making him to back off a little.