Chapter 3

The next morning you Harry and Hagrid were walking through Diagon Alley. "Hagrid how are we going to pay for everything?" Harry asked. "I mean our aunt and uncle don't even want us going to Hogwarts. I really don't think they're going to pay for all of this." He finished. You weren't taking much notice of Harry and Hagrid. You looked around the Alley to all the different kinds of stores and your eyes widened in bewilderment. 

There were so many people going about their day, getting what they need and here you were not having a single clue what you needed or how you were going to get it. "Ya don' think your parents left ya with nothin' d'yeh?" Hagrid chuckled. "Still got yer letters kids?" Hagrid asked. You pulled the letters out of your pockets. "Good kids."

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set of glass or crystal phials

1 telescope set

1 brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS. 

"Hagrid can we get all this in London?" You asked. 

"Only if ya know where ter look" Hagrid smiled as he motioned all around him to Diagon Alley.

 "Our first stop is at Gringotts Bank. Let's get goin'" The three of you walked for some time until you reached a small looking pub. "Ah, the Leaky Cauldron. It's quite a famous place." Hagrid smiled. As you all walked in the chattering quietened down. Everyone seemed to know Hagrid. 

"The usual Hagrid?" asked the bartender from behind the bar. 

"Can't, Tom, I'm on official Hogwarts business" Hagrid said placing a hand on both yours and Harry's shoulder making both your knees buckle. 

"Good Lord." said the bartender. "This -- This can't be. Can it?" He asked Hagrid. 

The place had suddenly become eerily quiet making you feel uncomfortable. "Bless my soul. It's Harry and Y/N Potter. Welcome back Mr and Ms Potter" Said the bartender with a smile on his face. The whispers started as soon as your names were mentioned. 

Everyone wanted to meet the famous Potter twins. Everyone was trying to talk to you at once. People introducing themselves and shaking your hands. A pale-looking man came up to the three of you with a twitching eye. You and Harry just looked at each other and then to the twitching man who seemed to be wearing a purple turban around his head. 

"Professor Quirrell! Harry, Y/N Professor Quirrell will be one of your teachers at Hogwarts." Hagrid exclaimed. 

"P-P-Potters," stammered Professor Quirrell, grasping yours and Harry's hand, "c-can't t-tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you both."

"What sort of magic do you teach, Professor Quirrell?" Harry took the words right out of your mouth. 

"D-Defense Against the D-D-Dark Arts," muttered Professor Quirrell, as though he'd rather not think about it. "N-not that you n-need it, eh, P-P-Potters?" He laughed nervously. "You'll be g-getting all your equipment, I suppose? I've g-got to p-pick up a new b-book on vampires, m-myself." He looked terrified at the very thought. Being in Professor Quirrell's presence made you uneasy. There was something about him you just couldn't put your finger on. 

Everyone else were practically fighting for your attention. Finally, Hagrid managed to pull you all away. "Lots ter buy so we must get on." He cleared his throat. 

"Told yeh, didn't I? Told yeh you was famous. Even Professor Quirrell was tremblin' ter meet yeh -- mind you, he's usually tremblin'."

"Is he always that nervous?" you asked curious about the man. 

"Oh, yeah. Poor bloke. Brilliant mind. He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then he took a year off ter get some firsthand experience... They say he met vampires in the Black Forest, and there was a nasty bit o' trouble with a hag -- never been the same since. Scared of the students, scared of his own subject" Hagrid chuckled shaking his head. 

You finally made it to Gringotts. It was white on the outside. You'd never seen anything like it in your life. The big brown doors on the front looked daunting as you didn't know what to expect. As you walked through the doors, you and Harry on either side of Hagrid, your mouth dropped as you looked around the massive building. 

The walls were some type of golden yellow marble. Lights hung low in the middle of the room and on either side there were long podium type benches that led all the way to the front desk. Sat at these podiums were little people who looked constantly angry. Long pointed ears came out of either side of their heads. Their skin looked all wrinkly and wretched. 

As you looked at them you noticed Hagrid staring at you with a smile. "Yea they're Goblins Y/N. Yeh don't wanna go annoyin' one of em kids. Nasty lil buggers when they wanna be." He said quietly with a smirk. The goblin was about a head shorter than you and Harry. Hagrid took the lead and did all the talking. "Mr and Ms Potter would like ter make a withdrawal from their vault" he spoke confidently.

The goblin looked at you and Harry then at Hagrid. "And do Mr and Ms Potter have their keys?" he asked Hagrid. 

"Right 'ere" He said pulling a key out of his very deep pockets. 

You all followed the goblin to your vault as he opened it. Your eyes went wider than wide at the sight of all the gold in your vault. You looked at Harry and saw the same reaction. 

After getting your gold from Gringotts, the three of you did the rest of your shopping. All that was left was to get your robes and wands. 

"Why dun you two go get yer robes fitted, I just got ter go an' get somethin'" Hagrid smiled.