Chapter 14| Doubt & Comfort

"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death

"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories."
—Leo Buscaglia
________________

2016, Murray Hill, New YorkAge 21

Age 21

The bartender hands me the two martinis and I bid the woman who was sitting next to me goodbye as she walks towards her husband. I hand Valencio his martini, noticing his face is paler and his clenching jaw.

"Valencio, what's wrong? Did something happen to your family?" I ask, offering him a comforting smile. I am sure for him being away from Italy is more difficult than it is for me. Though I miss Camren and my mother sometimes, I am always reminded of why I came here.

"Something happened to a respected person in Italy," I lean into his hand as he strokes my face, the coldness of the silver rings on his fingers feels riveting.

I trace the outline of the snake ring on his middle finger, then down his leather gloves as he observes me with no visible reaction. What could be on Valencio's mind that his eyes haven't grazed the spots where I've been stroking for the past two minutes not once? How important could this person be to him? His eyes are looking into mine but if I whisper something I am certain he won't catch it.

"Who is the person?" I ask, the hand on my face twitching before it pulls away.

"Eloise Angel," He whispers.

A gasp gets caught in my throat as the name plays on repeat in my mind. Everything in the room slows down, the music fades to a dull vibration, Valencio's lips move but no sound registers in my head. The sound of blood rushing to my ears, and the harsh thumping of my heart against my chest are the only factors that prove I am existing at this moment.

Eloise Angel... My mother... is dead?

There has to be another definition for dead, this has to be some twisted prank. Is this Valencio's way of revealing he knows my identity?-- no, it can't be. I hold on to the fleeting hope that these words are meant to humor me or to scare me; ignoring the little voice deep in the crevice of my head telling me that I am just looking for excuses.