Chapter 12|| My trust issues are showing

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved."
– George MacDonald
__________________

" – George MacDonald__________________

2015, Murray Hill, New York

Age 21

I grumble incoherently as I pull my orange hoodie over my head, standing out against my plain black leggings. Angela, Miller, and apparently Valencio-- who Angela forced me to introduce her to, planned an outing to the movie theater which I can't help but dread. I hear a string of honks from downstairs and realize Angela must be here to pick me up.

"You're never late when we're going out but somehow barely make it on time for work." I huff, settling into the backseat of her new Hyundai.

"Oh, shut it, Ellie. " Angela retorts.

"Hello, El, don't be so pouty," Miller says.

"If I didn't love Maia I wouldn't be here, just saying," I mumble.

"Is Aunt Ellie going with you?" Maia asked cutely, as she stared at her parents with her round blue eyes. I was in the family's living room once again, we were awaiting Angela's mother; she was taking Maia to relieve the couple of their parental duties for the weekend.

"Aunty Ellie doesn't like going out, pumpkin," Angela replied, I glared at her and she shrugged

"I'm just always tired, Mai, that's why I don't go," I mumbled.

"Aunty Ellie, go have fun with mommy and daddy, please!" Maia shouted, a smirk on Miller's face as he high-fived the intelligent three-year-old.

"Only for you, cutie," I kissed her cheek as she squealed.

"You sure it doesn't have anything to do with the Italian heartthrob?" Angela teases.

"I will step out of this vehicle right now, don't know why I even agreed to that introduction." I groan, facepalming playfully.

"Okay, I'll stop," Angela giggles, Miller gazing at her like she put the stars in the sky. His eyes filled with only love and I can't help the smile that finds its way onto my face-- I still hate third-wheeling.