Cassie |chapter 20- Rafe

Start from the beginning

Topper is half unconscious now but he can still hear me. I hang up the phone without saying anything.  "You're lucky I don't kill you tonight. You stay the fuck away from all of us, alright? Sarah included. If I see you in the came place as Cassie ever again, I swear I'll kill you. And if you say a word to anyone about what happened here, I'll shoot you dead you understand me, you piece of shit?" I shout at him. Thought he can't move, all he does is nod. He would be too scared to tell anyone anyways. Pathetic asshole. He's lucky I didn't kill him. Not today at least. I open the window of the bathroom and jump right out, leaving Topper drenching in his own blood. He deserved it, though I still can't wrap my mind around it. As I walk towards the parking lot, a thousand thoughts fill up my head. Could he actually be telling the truth? Did they actually do it? No.. I refuse to believe it. 

"She couldn't have gotten over me so fast, could she?"  I say to myself as I shake my head. My whole body is shaking. "FUCK!" 

As I approach my car, I see Sarah coming towards me. "What happened to you Rafe? Please don't tell me you kill-" Her voice is shaking and she's crying. 

"I didn't Sarah, calm down." I say as I look at her; "I left him there and I left through the window. I'm clear." I hear a heavy breathe of relief from Sarah as she wipes away her tears.

"And what if he tells someone?" 

"Don't worry, he won't tell a soul." 

I run towards my car and see Cassie through the window, laying in the backseat as if she's almost unconscious. I open the door of the car and get in. My heart is pattering because I don't know whats going on with her. I cup her cheeks in my hand as I look at her in the eyes.

"Cassie, are you okay? I'm here." I look at her and try to see if she's hurt. She slowly raises her head and tries to sit up.

"Shh, slow there, it's okay." I say as I help her lift herself up. As she's seated now, she leans her head on my shoulder and I still can't figure out what happened. I try touch her hand and put it in mine. "What happened to you Cassie? Please talk to me, I'm worried."  But she doesn't. In fact she doesn't say a single word to me. She keeps looking down as if she was ashamed or herself. Her hands are shaking and can't help but smell her. She reeks alcohol and I can smell something else too. Its Topper's cologne. Fucking piece of shit. I notice my hand making holding a fist again. I have to control myself. It's hard to sit here, when I could be in the bathroom, still beating him up. If I killed him, I don't know what would happen with me and Cassie. I'm scared she'd never wanna talk to me again. I don't want her to be scared of me, when I'm supposed to protect her. The main reason I didn't beat him to death is because of Cassie. I can't do that to her. I just can't.

We sit in silence, her head still on my shoulder and her small hand in mine. As much as I enjoy her silent company, I can't just sit here, doing absolutely nothing. I've got to do something about this and I clearly have to know what happened. Because if I keep guessing further, things might get worse for everyone.

"You're shaking Cass, please tell me if you're okay." I ask her with a trembling voice as I look at her. But as soon as I look at her, I realise she's asleep. 

"Sarah come get into the car." I yell at her when I see her hang up her phone. She puts her bike to the back of the car and gets in the backseat as I switch to the driver's seat. I drive away immediately before Sarah says anything.

"We can't just leave him behind. We've got to do something, maybe call someone?" she says in a trembling voice as if she's about to sob right now. 

"And what do you expect me to tell them, huh? We don't even know what happened out there."

"But we can't just-"

"Damn it, shut up Sarah!" I yell as I hit the steering wheel in anger. 

I drive away from the place, hoping to never come back here again. 

"I'm driving home." I say, trying to be calm even though it's nearly impossible.

"I'm not going there, and neither is she Rafe." Sarah says in a mad voice. "Just drop us of over John B's and we'll take care of her."

"She's staying with me for the night Sarah, and I don't care what you gotta say about it."

"You're seriously letting her next to Ward?"

"Him and Rose are out of town for a few days, the house is empty except for Wheezie."

"Rafe she doesn't want you. You cheated on her and now you want her to stay with you for the night?"

"I didn't fucking cheat on her." Sarah doesn't say anything, though I know she doesn't believe me. 

I finally pull over the house and get out of the car. I take Cassie in my arms, and hold her tight. I ask Sarah to get the keys from my left pocket and soon she opens the door. I take her upstairs and into Sarah's room. I take her shoes off and put a blanket over her. Poor Cassie, whatever it is that has happened there, I'm sure she wasn't okay with it. 

"Rafe, you can go now. I'm here with her." 

"Did she say anything to you?"

"No, she was quiet the whole time. I don't know what she went through, but it wasn't good. She threw up as soon as we got outside. And it definitely wasn't food poisoning." I look at her as she speaks to me, shifting my eyes elsewhere because of how angry I am right now.

"Fucking Topper." I mumble to myself as I look down, not being able to control my anger.

" I mumble to myself as I look down, not being able to control my anger

"What?" Sarah asks me.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I say as I close their door and head to my room. I take my bloody clothes off and wash my hands and my face. I get into bed and try to fall asleep. But I can't. I keep turning from side to side, unable to fall asleep. I keep thinking about Toppers words. Imagining the two of them together already drives me crazy yet alone think of the thing he told me. I know he was just fucking with me. At least, that's what I think.

I feel disgusted by myself because I couldn't protect her. I couldn't be there for her when she needed me the most. First her dad, now this. I keep promising to protect her and I keep failing. What is wrong with me? She deserves someone who is always there with her and for her. This is it. She's not gonna go anywhere on her own anymore. It's just too risky. I really gotta keep her close to me so nothing happens to her, ever again. 

She is mine and I've got to protect what belongs to me, at all costs.