Chapter 12 - Where Do We Go Now?

Start from the beginning

His pale face turns towards me, I can still see the red imprint of a hand on his cheek. His face is tense and guarded. "No," he murmurs, his voice pained. 

"What happened?" I know I might struck a nerve, but I forge deeper. 

"I advanced on her too quickly," he admits, hiding his face in his towel. 

I sigh. "And you ran before she could catch you?"

Corey nods. "I was hoping she'd forget about it and forgive me by this morning. Obviously, that's not how things turned out."

"Was it for the games?" I forge deeper.

I'm surprised he's actually answering these questions. If it were me, I would've have told the person to get the Hades away from me. "No," he starts. "Well... Yes, look I don't know. It was in the heat of the moment." 

"I hope things get better for you two," I say sincerely. 

"I hope so too," Corey stares off in the distance towards the Aphrodite cabin. "I really hope so." There's a longing in his eyes, a wistful presence in them. He does really like her. 

"Oh no," I mutter under my breath. Off in the distance I see Leo leaning against the door of the bath stalls. He's obviously waiting for me. His face lights up when he sees me. 

I know my cheeks are burning red now, as soon as we make eye contact. So much for avoiding him. Corey takes notice and smirks. "Practically everyone knows what happened," he teases.

I punch his arm. "How?"

"I guess Drew and Aubrey have their ways with the games and all. Word has it that they put video cameras everywhere to see everyone at all times."

I nearly choke as I take a sip of my bottled water. "That's," I cough. "That's freakish."

"Well, I'll leave you two be," Corey slaps my back gently, going off towards the boys' showers. 

Piper appears besides me, grinning. She vanishes along with the rest of our brothers and sisters. It's just Leo and I now.

His lips curve into a smug smile as I approach him. I want to run before anything else could happen, I have to. "Hey there, Fallon," Leo is one of the only ones to use my real name. 

"Leo," I can't stop the smile from stretching across my face. Leo looks extremely attractive in his white tee shirt smeared with soot and grease and dirty, patched up jeans. He wears a yellow tool belt around his waist even though he's no where near his bunker. 

Leo's pink lips part slightly. "What brings you here?"

"I smell," I say out loud, then instantly regret it. It's just like me to say stupid things like that. 

Leo bursts out into laughter, the sweet sound of his voice filling the air that surrounds us. It echoes in my ears, an endless sound of joy. After a few seconds, I join in, getting over my own embarrassment. "Well if you got to shower, you've gotta shower," Leo moves away from the door. "But I came here to invite you over to the bunker later today."

"Why?"

"Chiron said we're going to have a chariot race. I was wondering if you would like to accompany me on my chariot that I plan on building," Leo draws circles with his feet in the dirt, hiding his face. He's fearful of rejection.

"I'd love to," I answer immediately, then silently curse myself.

The smile never leaves Leo's face. "Great, just one more thing."

"Yeah?"

He leans in and quickly pecks my lips. "Later, Fallon!"

"Leo!" I yell as he runs off, towards his own cabin.

He looks back and winks at me. That split second he turned his head, he tripped on a rock and fell on his face. I giggle uncontrollably, then watch him make his way back to the Hephaestus cabin.

I feel giddish and girly right now, something I don't really experience a lot. But what does it matter. All I've done is dug myself deeper into this bottomless pit. I won't be able to find my way back up.

--

Again, apologies for the late update. I thank you all for not demanding me to write a new chapter this instance, I was getting major writer's block this weekend. I hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

So... 8+ votes on this chapter for a chapter on either Wednesday or Saturday? 

HOLY HEPHAESTUS, THIS STORY JUST GOT 1, 000 READS WHOOA. THAT WAS FAST. DID I MENTION I LOVE YOU GUYS, CAUSE I LOVE YOU GUYS. My next goal is getting the votes up to a hundred total, so that's why I'm raising the voting standards. Again, thank you guys for all your support, it means the world to me.

-Em