Pt 5 Chapter 21 - Home

Start from the beginning

"Get him the hell back!" I yelled.

"Hey, I said I'm trying." Bruce snapped back. I paused to focus on the sound of a faint car engine. The sound grew as a black car approached.

"Guys..." Bucky called. The others paused. Sam turned around.

"Is that Steve?" He asked. Bucky nodded. I stepped closer forward as it became visible that there were two people in the car. It pulled up beside us, all it's windows were blacked out.

"Cap?" Sam asked hesitantly. The window rolled down slowly.

"Hi, Sam." Steve replied softly.

"So did something go wrong, or did something go right?" He asked softly looking at the expression on Steve's face. It was a slight smile, a slight calm smirk. But his eyes weren't as bright as they had been before he left. I stepped closer, still not able to see the second person I thought was beside him.

"Well, after I put the stone back, something... happened."

"How'd that work out for ya?" Sam seemed to chuckled, I think he understood what had happened before I did.

"I don't know, what do you think?" Steve's voice perked up as he looked to his left.

"I think it worked out quite well if I'm honest." I heard her voice.

Natasha's voice.

Surely I had imagined it but the chance that I had was proven wrong as my wife lent forward.

"Hello Darling." She smirked. I dropped to my knees as tears came to my eyes. Harriet ran over to the car and I heard Bucky laugh. The car doors opened and I felt her hand on my shoulder. I stood up and wrapped my arms around her neck. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around her as my lips met hers.

"It's okay now, I'm home." She spoke to me softly, her voice slightly muffled from her own tears. She put me down as Harriet threw herself at Nat's legs in a bundle of squeals.

"Thank you Steve." I turned to our friend. He nodded in reply. I couldn't quite believe it. All the pain and emotions that I had pushed down sort of hit me all at once and I buried my head into Nat's shoulder. I took in the smell of her perfume and the warmth of her body as hugged me tightly.

There was a few minutes of happy reunion as happy tears were shed and I came to terms with the fact that my wife was no longer dead. I had my best friend back. Nat had picked Harriet up and they were talking excitedly.

"Sam." I heard Steve say as he reached into the car and took out his shield. I watched.

"Walk with me." He asked his friend. I stepped closer. Cap handed Sam the shield as they separated from the group slightly. I watched as Bucky looked at them. His eyebrows dropped and he caught me watching as well. I gave a little grin before looking at Steve again.

"Try it on." He told his friend. Sam looked down at the shield and then over to Bucky. Bucky nodded, letting him know it was okay. Sam reached down and put the shield on.

"How does it feel?" Steve asked him.

"Like it's someone else's." Sam smirked.

"It isn't." Steve replied sweetly.

"But why?" Sam asked.

"Because it's time for me to be happy. To move on and start a proper life. And that shield, it will hold me back. So I want you to have it." Steve looked at his friend with hope on his face.

"Thank you." Sam took a steady breath. "I'll do my best." Sam nodded.

"That's why it's now yours." Steve shook his hand. Bucky walked over and pulled Steve into a hug.

"You did the right, thing bud." He told him. 

"I know." Steve sighed. Natasha smiled as she had watched the end of the conversation.

"Thank you Uncle Steve!" Harriet ran over to him. Steve bent down and picked up the child.

"I couldn't let down my favourite girl could I?" He smiled. Nat laughed as she watched them. She kissed me on the cheek and it felt like heaven on earth. They rejoined the group, Sam was still looking at the shield in shock. 

"Congrats... Cap." I whispered to him as he walked besides me.

"Thanks Y/n."

"Come on, let's go get some food." Nat groaned. I nodded and we walked hand in hand back up to the cabin. When we walked into the kitchen and Pepper saw her she dropped the bowl of salad she had in her hands. Her hands went to her mouth.

"Oh my God!" She exclaimed. 

"How?" Tony mumbled as he walked in behind her. 

"Steve exchanged the stone." Nat smiled. "Surprise!"

"We've got to tell Wanda, and Clint and Fury!" I turned to Nat.

"Wanda first because she would have been here and then I desperately need a coffee. Death surprisingly uses a lot of energy!" Nat smirked. I had missed her smirk. I dialed Wanda's number as soon as I had relocated my phone.

"You have to talk to her." I handed her the phone. "She's gone out for the day apparently, but I'm not sure where." I explained.

We waited but there was no answer. "Maybe she has no service?" Nat shrugged. She sat down at the table and Pepper handed her a cup of coffee. Harriet clambered onto the chair beside her and snuggled up against her arm. I knew she was extraordinarily happy to have her Mamma back.

"I met Aunty Yelena yesterday." She said innocently. Nat's face grew to one of shock.

"You what?"

"We saw her... in Ohio."

"You were in Ohio?" Nat looked at me.

"That's where I chose to put your grave. Near your childhood home." I felt a bit awkward telling her that. She looked at me with eyes full of love.

"Aunty Yelena was there."

"She's free." Nat mumbled to herself but I heard.

"She took down the red room, but I don't know much more than that."

"She... I thought it was..." Nat's hand came to her mouth causing me confusion. What was she thinking?

"You look like you've seen a ghost, Natalia." Bucky laughed as he came in. His face dropped once he realised what he'd said. Only he ever called her Natalia, it was her Russian name and the one most commonly used before she left the red room. 

"The red rooms been destroyed." She told him. "They're all free."

"How do you know that?" He sat opposite.

"Let's just say an old friend."

"What are we talking about?" Sam asked, coming in in front of Steve and Bruce.

"Nothing really." Nat looked down at  the table. 

"Boys! You trod mud into my carpet!" Pepper huffed, setting down a tray of teas and coffees. We all sat around the table, questions firing at Nat from every person. All whilst she held my hand under the table with my leg resting over hers. I had her now and I would never let her go ever again.

"I'm glad you're home." I said to her telepathically.

"I'm glad to be here. I told you I'd never leave you."

"I love you."

"I love you more." She said, squeezing my hand.

"Nat do you want to answer the call, it's Barton." Bruce held up his phone. She nodded and picked up the call.

I didn't hear what Clint responded with. All I saw was Nat's big grin as she said hello to her oldest friend. Life truly was almost back to normal and I had never ever been happier. I felt giddy with joy as I just stared at her perfect hair. The blonde ends were gone from her fiery locks and the darkness around her eyes had disappeared. The effects of all the years of stress had gone and she looked refreshed and healthy. 

I really was the luckiest woman in the world...