Pt 5 Chapter 5 - Bigger brains

Y/n's POV

"Well, guess he's out then." Cap signed as we left.

"Well, he's scared." Nat replied, understanding what Tony was feeling.

"He's not wrong." Steve replied.

"And his doubts are perfectly reasonable." I sighed.

"Yeah, but I mean, what are we gonna do? We need him. What, are we gonna stop?" Scott said quickly.

"No, I wanna do it right." Steve looked back at the cabin with slight defeat on his face. "We're gonna need a really big brain."

Scott looked around, gesturing back to the house. "Bigger than this?" He almost laughed in disbelief.

"Yes, bigger than his." I laughed, catching on to Steve's idea.

"Banner." Nat mumbled, opening the car door so that I could put Haz in her car seat.

We all got into the car quietly.

"Did you enjoy that?" Nat called to Harriet, looking in the rear view mirror. She was driving this time and smirked at me as I looked at her in the mirror.

"Yes! Morgan had this toy and it lights up and her daddy said that-" Harriet started babbling about her time with Morgan as we all listened tentatively to the small girl.

*

Despite the long journey home and several toilet breaks for Scott and Harriet as well as the perfect sing along version of Frozen 2 and Moana, we got back before sun down. We were all stiff from the journey and ready for a quick dinner before bed.

Steve made a start on preparing food for us all as I took Haz for a quick bath. I filled the water up and added her favourite bubble bath. She waited patiently, humming 'let it go' to herself. Once the water was run I popped her in the bath and gave her a quick wash over and then washed her hair. The whole time she continued to sing to herself and recite scenes from her favourite films.

"You could be an actress with the amount of films you can act out." I joked as I pulled her out of the bath.

"No, I want to be like you and mommy! I want to be a superhero!" She giggled as I wrapped her small body in pajamas.

"A superhero? Wow, that is very impressive." Nat said from behind me. I jumped at her voice, the woman had snuck in silently and was positioned just in the doorway.

"You're a superhero! You can teach me!" Harriet giggled.

"Oh no, being a superhero isn't all that fun." Nat looked a little sadder as I looked around to meet her gaze. "But you've already started step one."

"Dinners ready!" Steve called us.

"You go on, I'll get her dressed." Nat said to me sweetly. She knelt down beside me and I planted a kiss on her cheek before getting up and heading off to the kitchen. Steve had put a pizza in the oven for everyone and had cut up some salad type food to put with it. I laid out the table as he served up the pizza. Scott came out from the room he was staying in , rubbing his wet hair with a towel. Shortly after Nat and Haz came from the bathroom. Everyone sat around the table, sharing slices of pizza.

"Thanks Uncle Steve!" Harriet beamed as he handed her a slice with extra grated cheese.

"Anytime little one." He smiled back.

"You remind me of Cassie." Scott looked at her with a soft grin. I knew it would feel really weird for Scott considering his daughter aged five years in only five hours in his timeline. I couldn't imagine how hard that would be, missing out such key areas of my child's journey to becoming an adult. Harriet giggled, like she always did, our happy little girl.