Chapter 28

NEW YORK HARBOR NOVEMBER 1928 "ARIZONA"

I yawned and opened my eyes. The sun was just beginning to rise over the horizon. Pennsylvania was alongside, fast asleep. Smiling, I nudged her gently. "Rise and shine, sleepybow." I whispered.

She gave a low moan. "Oh none of that." I chided her. "It's a beautiful day." She gave another moan and opened her eyes. "I was having the best dream ever and you just had to wake me." She complained. "Sorry." I said.

"What were you dreaming about?" I asked. "Oahu." She replied. "And where is that?" I asked. "The Pacific." She replied. I nodded. "One of the Hawaiian Islands isn't it?" I asked. "Yes, it's not the largest one but its home to Honolulu, the capital." She explained.

I smiled. "Sounds lovely." I said. She nodded. "It is." She replied. "Come on, time to get to work." I said, backing out of my dock. Still yawning, she followed me.

Utah approached me just inside the main entrance. "President Coolidge requires your presence in the Chesapeake." She said. I groaned inwardly, I was just about sick of the runs between New York and Virginia just to deal with politics.

I looked at Pennsylvania. My sister smiled. "Go on, I've got it handled here." She said. I nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can." I said. She nodded. "Please do listen to him. He does have valid points." She said.

"Pennsy, we've been through this, I'm not giving Olympic up." I growled. Utah dipped her head and left, sensing an argument brewing.

"But he is right, you can't deny that." She said. I paced back and forth. "Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Pennsylvania, don't give me the talk again please. My ears are damaged enough already." I groaned. She smiled, a bit embarrassed. "I don't like it any more than you do." She said.

"Then just drop it, sis 'cause you know I don't care!" I growled. "Fine!" She snapped. "Just please, do me a favor and listen to him, at least try to see it from his point of view?" She asked. I nodded. "I'll try." I replied.

"Thank you." She sighed. I dipped my head and turned for Virginia. "Good luck, Arizona!" Pennsylvania called after me. "Thanks, Pennsy!" I called back.

I arrived at the Chesapeake a day later. Passing Thimble Shoals I nearly ran myself aground. "One of these days, somebody's going to get stuck on that bank and the navy's going to have a hell of a time getting her off it!" I growled. My captain nodded. "Agreed, Arizona." He said.

I didn't realize that my words would prove to be correct in January of 1950. But that was long after my time and I'm sure Missouri will give her own account on that sometime but anyway, I had arrived at the dock and admitted President Coolidge on board.

This was one of the many curses I had inherited when I became leader of the fleet. I was the lead representative of the fleet in the government and politics was part of the job. Sighing, I weighed anchor and headed out. "Where to?" I asked my commander in chief.

"Word is you like the tropics." He said. I nodded. "I sometimes wish the whole world was tropical." I said. "Costa Rica sounds perfect to me right now." He said. Costa Rica was a small country in Central America, just above Panama. It was more industrial than I liked but it was a beautiful place nonetheless. "Costa Rica it is then." I said and headed south for Florida before turning west into the Caribbean.

I arrived off the east coast of Costa Rica a week and a half later. "Alright, let's hear it." I sighed. "So you know why I'm here?" He asked. I nodded.

"Harding told me about your relationship with Olympic. And Wilson voiced his concerns. I have to tell you Arizona that this has gone on long enough." He said. "I'm sure that Wilson and Harding told you how I respond to these demands." I said. He shrugged and shook his head.