Chapter 5

MID NORTH ATLANTIC SEPTEMBER 1918 "OLYMPIC"

I raced across the water at 22 knots, eager to reach New York. All I wanted was to get away from navy ships and their rules. (Well of course I didn't like the politics, Dreadnought. Why would I?)

Now that I had a position in the navy, I had to be stricter on the codes of a British warship. But for now, I was free to do my job as a transatlantic passenger liner. I had never loved the Atlantic Ocean more than did now, for as long as I was sailing on it, I was free to do as I pleased.

Just for the fun of it and perhaps out of habit, I did some zigzag motions like a speedboat. I even tried to see just how tight my turning circle was at a high speed, it was not as good as a PT boat's was but it was good enough to be annoying. I would remember that the next time I met Baltic, maybe I'd give her a taste of her own medicine.

My fun and games were interrupted by my wet whale of a captain, Bertie Hayes. "Olympic, will you cut that out! Some of the crew are turning green and the passengers are spewing in the lotteries." He growled. "Sorry!" I called. "Humph." He muttered.

Reluctantly, I slowed down to 20 knots. "You should know better than to speed right now, Olympic. You remember what Adriatic said, don't you?" He scolded me. "Don't remind me." I groaned.

During my collision with U-103, I had twisted my prow to one side and had several plates dented. Adriatic, worried about the threat of Sand Sickness, had ordered me to take it easy until I could be repaired. I had reluctantly agreed to her demand.

Following through on my end of the bargain, I slowed even more. Down to just 17 knots, it was not as fast as I normally was on these crossings, but fast enough for my American passengers.

After two years of bloody fighting, they were going home and naturally, they did what all boys did when there was something to celebrate. They had a big party and if there was ever a place on the ocean to have some fun, it was on board me.

Captain Hayes had ensured that my main list of provisions included several tons of liquor. I didn't know what a favorite on their side of the pond was so I asked some of them. "Whiskey." Some said. Ale, brandy, and wine were the other popular choices. I had all stocked onboard. Now, I was beginning to regret my decision.

The men had partied all day yesterday and were partying all day today. Toasts rang out around dinnertime. "To the President! To our victories brothers!" They sang. Then, one of the infantry captains stood up. Raising his glass of brandy, he said "And to Old Reliable, the ship that brought us home." The other men copied him. "To Old Reliable!" They echoed wholeheartedly.

Captain Hayes laughed as I blushed bright red. "You earned it, Old Reliable." He said. I grinned. "Thanks." I replied, blushing harder.

As I approached New York harbor, I saw the familiar outline of a Pennsylvania-class battleship waiting for me. I didn't need to get closer to read the hull number '39' painted on her bow to see who it was. "Arizona!" I cried. Arizona's dark grey eyes brightened considerably when she saw me. "Olympic!" She sang. Racing forward she embraced me. "Oh, Olympic I was so worried." She cried. I nuzzled her. "Hey, it's okay." I murmured.

"Sorry, I should be setting a good example." She said. I nodded. "And I should be following the rules that Dreadnought laid down for me." I replied. She looked at me questioningly. "Dreadnought commissioned me into the navy at the honorary rank of battleship." I explained.

Her eyes widened. "Wow, that high up the ranks. No honorary rank has been that high before. Congrats, you deserve it, you really do." She said. "Yeah well, Dreadnought told me no rule breaking." I said.

The Olympian Sisters #3 The Gilded Ageजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें