Forty Four

Jimin sat on a bench watching the leaves from the tree slowly fall to the ground.

"Here you go!" A loud voice called cheerily in front of him. He looked up and saw Jungkook smiling at him and holding a cup of coffee towards him.

He didn't know why he was sitting here like this and why they both seemed to be in a good mood. It was rare for the two of them to be at ease in each other's company. He couldn't even remember when last that happened.

He took the coffee and smiled back

"Thanks Kookie"

Jungkook sat beside him and took a sip of his own coffee while looking towards the horizon.

"What's going on? What's the occasion? You're not the type of guy to get so friendly all of a sudden"

He sighed. "It's kinda scary so Just act as yourself"

Jungkook remained quiet for sometime before finally speaking, his eyes wet with unshed tears.

"I brought you here because I wanted us to talk...."

He gulped. "I thought about it and I realized that the person I had to apologize to the most was you"

Jimin almost broke into laughter. "You? Apologize? You're not that kind of guy"

Jungkook nodded. "You're right....I was not that kind of guy"

"I was selfish, self centered, arrogant, determined to get the best of everything even if it meant hurting others"

He shook his head. "Look where that landed me"

Jimin stared at the other. He was acting unlike his usual self and it was really strange. He looked so sad, so broken, Jimin could barely recognize him.

"Jungkook? What's wrong?"

Jungkook sniffed.

Now, Jimin was really worried"You can talk to me. I'm your brother"

Jungkook was silent for a long time making Jimin more confused. "Indeed you are but I never treated you as one. All I saw when I looked at you was my enemy, my rival, someone I always had to outdo"

"But the truth is I was jealous of you. Sometimes, I wished I could be like you. So pure, so sweet and innocent. You were liked by everyone just by being yourself. By being caring and kind towards others whereas I had to manipulate people into liking me. I had to do crazy and unthinkable things to get people's attention"

"That was why I hated you... really hated you"

Jimin gulped as Jungkook continued "And then Taehyung came and everything just got worse. I got worse. It led me to do the unthinkable and now you're fighting for your life because of me"

Jimin was confused. "What are you saying? Why do you keep blaming yourself? I should have tried harder to strengthen our bond. I'm older. Therefore, it's my duty to guide you, to protect you"

Jungkook was already in tears. "You tried hyung. You really did. I just didn't give you a chance"

He was wailing so much, Jimin had to hug him, patting his back gently.

"There now, it's okay. Stop crying"

"I'm so sorry hyung. I'm sorry for everything that I did to you. You didn't deserve it"

Jimin pulled him from his chest and wiped his tears.

"Stop being such a cry baby. It's fine"

Jungkook grabbed his hands tightly.