𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏: 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐎 (𝐑𝐄𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐅𝐔𝐋𝐋𝐘) 𝐒𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐗-𝐁𝐎𝐘𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃

"Cry me a River and drown in it."

    APRIL 1ST, 2010

IF JASON GRACE WAS BEING HONEST...

He didn't know why the fuck he was here.

He had woken up in the backseat of a bus, with the only thing he remembered was his own name. The there was this girl holding hands with him, she was pretty but he couldn't tell you her name. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, trying to think.

The bus was covered with a couple dozen of teens no older than seventeen. The bus trampled along a rough road and out the windows, desert rolled by under a bright blue sky. Jason was pretty sure he didn't live in the desert. He tried to think back ... the last thing he remembered ...

The pretty girl squeezed his hand. "Jason, you okay?" She wore faded jeans, hiking boots, and a fleece snowboarding jacket. Her chocolate brown hair was cut choppy and uneven, with thin strands braided down the sides. She wore no makeup like she was trying not to draw attention to herself, but it didn't work. She was seriously pretty. Her eyes seemed to change color like a kaleidoscope—brown, blue, and green.

Jason let go of her hand. "Um, I don't—"

In the front of the bus, a teacher shouted, "All right, cupcakes, listen up!"

The guy was obviously a coach. His baseball cap was pulled low over his hair, so you could just see his beady eyes. He had a wispy goatee and a sour face, like he'd eaten something moldy. His buff arms and chest pushed against a bright orange polo shirt. His nylon workout pants and Nikes were spotless white. A whistle hung from his neck, and a megaphone was clipped to his belt. He would've looked pretty scary if he hadn't been five feet zero. When he stood up in the aisle, one of the students called, "Stand up, Coach Hedge!"

"I heard that!" The coach scanned the bus for the offender. Then his eyes fixed on Jason, and his scowl deepened. For a moment Jason thought he had done something wrong but Coach Hedge looked away and cleared his throat.

"We'll arrive in five minutes! Stay with your partner. Don't lose your worksheet. And if any of you precious little cupcakes causes any trouble on this trip, I will personally send you back to campus the hard way." He picked up a baseball bat and made like he was hitting a homer.

Jason looked at the girl next to him. "Can he talk to us that way?"

She shrugged. "Always does. This is the Wilderness School. 'Where kids are the animals.'" She said it like it was a joke they'd shared before which only made Jason more confused.