Deal = Money

Chapter 1

The Deal

“I am so tired!” I threw myself on the king size bed and frowned. I spread out my arms and reached out for a pillow and buried my face deep into it, after a minute or two I whirled my body around and yanked the pillow away from my face as I stared at the ceiling waiting for time to fly by.

“Ugh! I don’t want to do homework!” Unwillingly, I got up from my bed and dragged my butt to my desk, a where a pile of papers and thick books were anxiously waiting for me to get it done already. I plopped down and opened the drawer underneath the brown desk and took out a pen and blank sheet of paper and began doing my English assignment.

I was about to go on to the final paragraph when my mother interrupted me. “Janice! Dinner is ready!” As if on cue, my stomach growled in full starvation. I stopped and placed the pen down as I stood up and hurried towards the kitchen. As soon as I opened the door from the kitchen the sweet smell of lasagna filled my nose. I could already taste it in my mouth; picture it as it lay innocently on the white plate yearning for me to eat it. I closed my eyes as I inhaled deeply. Slowly, I opened them and walked over to the table and took a seat across from my mother. It was only her and me.

The chair that my mother was sitting on was the same chair my father once sat in. It was a devastated moment when my mother and I found out he died. We couldn’t believe it; it felt more like a joke than reality. Since then she became both parents.

We both sat there not looking at each other or talking. We avoided each other like we have from about every night when we ate dinner together. It wasn’t because we were mad towards each other, but because we never had anything good to say to each other. Normally, a mother and daughter would get along easily –of course any one would say that, but talk to us about it and we would just laugh our heads off like a good joke had just been told to us.

I couldn’t quite put a finger to it, but there was something –like wall between us, a concrete wall better say…

Suddenly my mother began to cough –a harsh and choking cough. Instantaneously, I looked up from my plate to her as I stared at her in alarm. I got up from my place and rushed towards her kneeling down at her right side. “Mom! Are you okay?!”

She kept her head away from me. “It’s nothing just a simple cough.” It was a lie, I could smell that one. She pushed herself up from the table as she got up and turned around to get some water –all while avoiding my stare. She had not taken four steps away from me when she placed her hand on her forehead and fainted backwards.

My eyes nearly budged out of their socket when I heard the loud thump in the dead silent air. The only sound that was heard was the tick-tock of the clock we had hanging above the door.

“Mom!!!” I rushed at her as I threw myself on the ground next to her, shaking her furiously, but she did not respond nor a single grunt escaped from those chapped lips. Her eyes where shut tightly. My heart was pounding loudly as I tried to avoid the worse, but they managed to go through my mind anyway. The air around me was tight, not letting me breathe property. For whole two minutes I shook her as tears welled up faster with each passing second that she did not respond to.

I rushed to the phone hitting my hip with the table on the process, but I could care less about the pain I felt at that moment I knew I would have a bruise. As soon as I placed my hands on it I whirled it around and dialed Amber. She was my only aunt who was very near towards where we lived and was a doctor.

“Amber!” I urged as soon as she picked up. “Mom. My mom she –she fainted. Please come quick!!”

“She what?!?”